Duck, NC - Day #4 - Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck, NC - Day #4 - Redfish

My son and wife hit the sound today and he caught this juvenile redfish on a gulp shrimp and jig.

He said it did not fight as hard as the black drum.

He also had a larger redfish on that came off. He thought the jig was snagged and it was a big redfish. It came off and then jumped out of the water.

55 views and no response

Nice fish! Are you guys using a popping cork?
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

No Popping Cork

So far we have just been using the Gulp shrimp and a 1/4 ounce jig head. We caught a couple more this morning. I have some popping corks, but have not tied them on yet. The water is only 2 or 3 feet deep where we are catching these fish and there is submerged grass. So what does the popping cork do for the presentation?

Comment

I finally got on the board with a redfish.

Comment

Nice menhaden bait
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm south of you in Avon, NC this week. Been fishing in the sound three times. First day I hit the trifecta--croaker, sea trout and a 24" flounder. The next day a puppy drum pulled my kayak around for a while before I landed it. I haven't had a banner day fishing yet
            , but it beats reading a book. Al

Comment

Back in the mid-80's I hooked up a big Tarpon off the end of the Avon Fishing pier in late August on an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur10000-C reel on a 10 foot custom Hatteras heaver- took 325 yards of 25# pink Ande before it spooled me- it ate a live small tinker bluefish on a float rig-took about 2 minutes hookup, five big spectacular leaps and the bottom of the spool- pow! Empty reel, fish still jumping and jumping... fading into the distance...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice work on the reds. I haven't seen the Gulp shrimp in that color scheme. It looks good. I like using the shrimp when fish keep biting the tails of the grubs.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

That's a cool story Ron.

Bill, the gulp shrimp are like the new penny color, but with a chart tail. They seemed to work fine. I wonder if they would work on upper Potomac smallies?

Comment

the popping cork will keep the lure in the strike zone and the pop and splash attracts game species like specks
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Gotcha on the popping cork. We're leaving so we will have to give it a try next year.

Comment

nice job, it takes a hell of an angler to get blues to eat with there butts

Comment

Working...
                        X