Point No Point intell trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point No Point intell trip

My son (Ethan) and I tried to get some fishing done in spite of my evening appointments that keep me from meet and greet.We launched from an undisclosed place.....since it seems I inadvertently trespassed and received written legal notice to not let it happen again....and found it pretty windy out at the point. The big ground swell, shallow water, and gusting wind cancelled our plans to try for flounder in the currents off point no point.

We tried trolling for rocks and bluefish, kept our eyes out for breakers, but zilch...and the wind would rize then fall. When they were up we went to a creekmouth, I caught a couple small puppy drum and dangled some fish bites for croaker and spot. We caught a few shorts so we decided to go out try some croaker fishing further out.
    Ethan immediately started catching eating size croakers. I soon got into the game though I was still hoping to find a flounder (see the rig) but soon gave up and commited to croaker. As soon as I did this I immediately caught a small flounder on peeler crab. I quickly threw a pice of peeler on a butil and tried a gain and BOOM another flounder....bigger but still short. That was it for flounder, however, though Ethan caught a nice Bluefish, a 12 in puppy drum (here is the proud owner of a puppy drum) his first ever.
    By the end of the day we had 7 species (8 if you include blue crab) Croaker, Spot, Bluefish,Flounder, Sea Robin, Red Drum, oyster toadfish
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Nice report and pics. Good selection of species, too. I've caught flounder using a bucktail on a spinner arm in Virginia. I was just messing around, and my buddies looked at me like I was nuts. The flounder didn't care. Did that croaker hit a grub behind one of your walleye spinner-rigs?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

That is an old steelhead spin-n-glo I use for Blue cats. I changed the hook and added the grub for flounder. This set up has caught numerous 9 in flounders for me, LOL.
      I love to do the same with a minnow or leach for walleye, but I usually use a much smaller spin-n-glo, 6-7 beads under it and a small short shank hook. The short hook keeps the leech from wrapping around the hook.
      The principle is the same with all three species, though....action of the spin-n-glo draws visual feeders in murky conditions.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
      X