Jonas Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green

First time fishing from Jnas Green park. Nice day fishing the bridge pilings for white perch with my good friend Ian and my son Tony jr. Caught plenty of medium size fish and managed to keep a couple dozen between 9.5 and 11 inches. Also caught one puppy drum and a few small croakers. Trolled buck tails for rock but didnt have much luck.

Welcome to the joys of fishing the Severn River. Jonas Green does give access to some very good fishing waters. I was down in that area for part of the morning after launching from Weems Creek. I trolled three small lures the whole way from Weems to the Naval Academy bridge, then worked some areas near the bridge by casting. I saw two guys in Hobies who were crabbing and later fishing. We waved, but did not get close enough to exchange names.

On my back upstream, I was just south of the mouth of Weems Creek and same some temporary breaker activity about 1/4 mile away By the time I paddled over there, the breaking fish were no longer clustered in one spot, but they did pop the surface intermittently. They were a mix of rock and blues -- but were really tiny -- most 6" to 8" size. Rockfish of that size were plentiful earlier in the summer, but I have not seen them recently.

In that size class, they really liked my Kiwi lure that I bought in New Zealand last summer. I have not previously used it this summer. When I used it last year, I had it rigged as a terminal lure with the hook being part of the lure (as shown below). Today, I removed the hook, threaded the hollow, colorful, hard plastic lure onto my line and tied the hook to the end of the line. Rigged this way, the lure could flutter more and even slide up and down the line as I slowly trolled along in the kayak.

I have them in various weights and colors. The one I used today is the third from the right on the bottom row.

Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah, The only rock I caught trolling was only about five inches on a green twister tail. Thank god for the plentiful perch!

Comment

Congrats on catching some nice perch on your first outing. The Severn is a lot of fun to fish.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
        X