Mattawoman, 8/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman, 8/11

Ron (ronaultmtd) suggested an evening bass and catfish trip for Saturday, and Mike (chexone) and I joined him. I had chores to do, so I didn't get on the water until about 4:30, which was about 45min after high tide according to the tide chart, but the current was still flooding. Ron, Ron's daughter, Laura, and Mike were upstream from the ramp. I hit some of the spots where I had luck on Thursday on my way up to meet them. Naturally, it started thundering as soon as I settled in, and there was lots of lightning to the north. Storms were to the south, too. The weather radio didn't say anything about the immediate area, but following Ron, Laura, and Mike back to the ramp seemed like a good idea.

Once we got to the ramp, it seemed like the thunder and lightning had stopped, so we started working our way downstream. I wasn't having any luck with the firetiger Rapala squarebilled crank, my white chatterbait, or any of the frog lures I threw. However, Mike landed a nice 18" bass, which was the biggest one he has caught:

Ron working the area (I love the casting action shot):

Laura joining him:

Ron and Laura anchored up by a hole in a river bend while Mike and continued looking for bass and snakeheads. Something kept stealing Laura's bait, but it wasn't long before she hooked up with a nice blue cat, which was her first fish caught from a kayak:

They set up again, while Mike and I worked our way downstream:

I had a nice blow-up on a Spro popping frog. I managed to not spaz out and jerk the lure away, but the fish still got away. I probably didn't set the hook hard enough. It was either a really nice bass or a snakehead in the mid-20s. I thought I saw some brown when it came out of the water.

Mike had the hot hand and had a bunch of blow-ups but couldn't connect. I pulled alongside him to see if his luck would rub off, but nothing would bite. I heard on the radio that a storm was about to hit Smallwood State Park and head our way. A while after that it started raining hard with thunder seemingly right overhead. We called it a night at that point, which was around 7 or 7:30.

I'm not sure what everyone else's tally was for the evening, but I was skunked. I had a good blow-up, though, and was connected for a little while. I'm not sure where that falls on our skunk scale? A opossum? Maybe a groundhog since the fish popped out for a bit before retreating to its lair? Also, where does catching a thunderstorm fit on the scale?

I was frustrated that I couldn't fish the Magic Hour on two trips in a row. As I drove home, the sky cleared up. I decided to hit Bumpy Oak Pond, which was nearby and was known for its snakehead population. I didn't have any luck there, either, and it seemed like things were slow for the other guys fishing there, too. I need to figure out how to launch a yak there. The weeds are really thick, but I might be able to get around in the Tarpon.

It was good fishing with Ron and Mike again and meeting Ron's daughter. We may have a new kayak fishing convert in our midst.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

I am ordering a new AW100 Digital camera today, my old FujiFilm is shot....Bill- thanks for taking these great pictures of my Daughter Laura's first ever kayak trip- She turned 12 years old on the 10th- my baby Daughter-

I fished for maybe 30 minutes the whole trip- rest of the time I was instructing and "hovering".....
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice report and glad most of you caught fish! Don't feel bad about the skunk , I was able to fish from about 6-9:30 two weeks ago at Mattawoman and got the skunk too. High tide was around 10 so I feel like all the fish were moving into the thick grass beds. Didn't have any luck on my frog or popper which have been my hot baits on earlier trips. As for the bumpy oak rd pond, I fished it for the first time right after our meet and greet and caught a 19'' snakehead on a frog right about noon on my lunch break. You could definitely launch a kayak there by just wheeling it down the path but I'm not sure how productive it would be with so much vegetation.
      Shane
      Hobie Outback

Comment

"I'm not sure what everyone else's tally was for the evening, but I was skunked. I had a good blow-up, though, and was connected for a little while. I'm not sure where that falls on our skunk scale? A opossum? Maybe a groundhog since the fish popped out for a bit before retreating to its lair?"

I'd call that a spotted skunk...cute, not as smelly, but still a skunk.
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Ron--I think she did well for a first trip. Future trips should require less hovering. The Mattawoman is a perfect place for a newbie because the boats generally don't go ripping through there. I'm glad the pics turned out well. It's nice to have photos of a good day.

Shane--Just when I think I have the Mattawoman figured out, I get humbled. I did go into this trip feeling pretty cocky, and I thought it was going to be an especially good day since it was so overcast. Oh well. Thanks for the info on Bumpy Oaks Pond. Does the pond seem low now? I'm not sure how to get in the yak once I get it down the bank. I'm also not sure how easy it is paddle through the lily pads and spatterdock. I'll have to take the Tarpon to the Mattawoman and give it a shot again. I did paddle it through some spatterdock at Leesylvania, and it was kind of tough.

Kevin--I like it. I spotted a fish, but didn't land it.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
          X