8/15/12 - Mid week bay bridge trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/15/12 - Mid week bay bridge trip

Hit the bay bridge this morning. Forecast called for upper 70's air temps, water temps into the 80's, and west winds 5-10 knots. Managed to put a weird little mixed bag together to hold off the skunk.

Left home at quarter after 5 and headed east into an absolutely gorgeous sight: little sliver of a moon rising into the clear starlit sky, with the pinks and purples of dawn just creeping into the horizon as the sun came up right behind the moon. No pics unfortunately but it was stellar.

Got on the water a little after 6 and took off for the rock piles. Worked both rock piles for a while and hooked a couple of rocks (the mineral kind, not the scaled ones). I was about to give in to the skunk and move off when my rod bowed over and I pulled in a monster of an oyster cracker. After that both the wind and tide picked up and I decided to head back inland a bit. I jigged around the western pilings with a blue and silver kastmaster tipped with fishbite. Caught white perch, spot (they were after the fishbites), and another oyster cracker. Highlight of the trip was catching a flounder under one of the pilings. At 10" long, he is the second flounder I have caught within sight of the bridge this year.

Overall a fun morning trip, if not particularly productive. I didn't catch any stripers, and none of the gluttonous micro-croakers that have been so thick of late.

Tight lines everybody, John
    Last edited by jsquare; 08-15-2012, 10:20 PM. Reason: gluttonous, glutinous...what's the difference?

LOL, funny post... The bay Bridge has not been kind to me either lately. But glad you avoided the skunk. Pretty cool that you caught a flounder.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

drop one of those spot to the base of a pillion and see what happens

Comment

It sounds like you got some good jigging practice even if you weren't catching stripers. Thanks for the report.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
          drop one of those spot to the base of a pillion and see what happens
          Good idea. Didn't even think of that. The small spot have been pretty thick this year, but livelining is not really a go-to method for me.

Comment

Working...
          X