Kayak Crabbing 08-17-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Crabbing 08-17-2012

I had today off of work and a friend of mine told me that his scientific research said that there are allot of large male crabs in the middle Patuxent. So I decided to give it a try. I could not launch from the park on the Patuxent that he was referring to since it did not open until 8am. I picked a location just south of the area that he was talking about to launch from. It was the Route 231 Bridge DNR ramp.

I got there at 5:15am and the parking areas closest to the ramp were almost full. I was lucky to get the last spot which was right next to a little pier. As luck would have it, there was a sandy beach on both sides of the pier. I was able to unload my kayak and just take few steps and drop my kayak on the beach. Setting up and launching from the beach was great. I did not have to rush to setup my setup and to quickly launch in order to get out of the way of the boaters using the two available ramps. I had my own private launch spot by using the beach. The ramp can get quite busy here. Many crabbers were heading out. I launched just before 6am and headed north to head to the area that my friend recommended. Since I saw so many crabbers with motor boats blasting north and laying out their trot line, I decided to lay my 600 foot line north of the bridge within a 5 minute paddle from the ramp. I immediately started to work the trot line and I immediately started catching crabs. I noticed that there were allot of giant, hard and heavy female crabs. Don't get me wrong, there were allot of big male crabs. From my experimentation of catching crabs at different locations, I can say (unofficially) that the crabs in the middle Patuxent are more plentiful, larger, and have harder shells that the crabs in the Rhodes, Severn, and Mills Creek. Next shot is maybe the crab alley area.

I made some modifications to the Crab Whisperer's Crabbing Mobile....haha.... I got some legal bullet size floats that can be stored much easier in my kayak, than the plastic gas cans that I was using. I also added two concentric rings of pool noodles to the top of my crab basket that gets narrower as you get to the top. This slope makes it hard for the crabs to escape. The last time I was catching crabs at Herring Bay, I lost 6 to 8 nice crabs, because they climbed out of the basket while I was in rough water. I am also using slightly lighter chains for the kayak to hold the trot line on the river floor. It is easier for the peddle yak to pull the chains over the prop without significant torque of the kayak. I also carry a second Home Depot bucket to carry my crabbing gear. Everything worked great on Friday. This was the smoothest operating trip for kayak crabbing for me to date, and the crabs in the Patuxent were tasty Too!
    Attached Files

I see you planned on catching a lot of crabs because you didn't take any rods out. That's a nice full basket.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

I was looking forward to the report and pics. That's a nice mess of crabs. Your new setup looks pretty sweet, too.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

did you take video??
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

The crab mobile strikes again! You really are fine-tuning your technique. Good job!
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice batch of crab.

Comment

No video on this trip. I am probably going kayakcrabbing again on Friday if I have Friday off. The wife wants more blue crabs .. Who am I to say no?

Comment

Nice MOC! It's good to see that there are some bigger crabs out there. I may give the gunpowder another try soon, perhaps this weekend in hopes they've gotten bigger. The small ones have been frustrating!

I also learned that I should modify the net by adding a little more webbing in the back side of it because the snoods get snagged inside the net when scooping. Have you run into this?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Yes, I have run into this along time ago, but I never added the webbing, because as I crabbed more, I know how to scoop the little devils without the snood getting caught in the net. Sometimes I might only get it caught in the net once a trip at the most. So it was not a high priority for me to install the extra netting.... lazy I guess.

Comment

Nice going!!
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Sweet crabs, Moc.
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                      X