8/22 Truxton Park/Spa Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/22 Truxton Park/Spa Creek

Launched the kayak at 2 PM on a low tide, and started a perch search. Started casting and catching right across from the ramp, but all small. I decided to work the shore up the creek for a change, and wouldn't you know it...runt rock. Probably caught 15 of them from 6 - 10" with more small perch mixed in. I did see a pickerel swirl at my lure right at the yak, but couldn't get him to come back.

Went down past the ramp and found more perch and pickerel. Caught one @ 16" then had a big one jump and throw the hook. He put on a show as he jumped clear of the water two more times. Caught another little fella @ 14" and lost one more at the yak Finally caught a few 11" perch in the same area. Everything swam away for next time.

Really felt good seeing the pickerel, probably been 55 years since I landed one.

Congrats on the pickerel, Bob. Spa Creek was where I first started learning how to catch pickerel. There used to be some real nice ones in there. There were a few years where I didn't catch many there, so I'm glad they're back. I'm kinda surprised, though, because I figured it would be too salty this year.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Great report! I'm actually moving to the spa creek condos this weekend so I'll be right next to truxton park. I've crabbed the Severn but never fishes spa creek, what baits we're you using?
      Shane
      Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Reelaxin10 View Post
        Great report! I'm actually moving to the spa creek condos this weekend so I'll be right next to truxton park. I've crabbed the Severn but never fishes spa creek, what baits we're you using?
        Srike King micro spinnerbait thanks to a post by J.A.Veil.

Comment

Bob -

I think I passed you in my 16' Scout center console about 6:45. I took a short trip in the Severn with my brother and was returning then. I saw someone in a Hobie PA fishing the Eastport shoreline not too far from Truxton. It looked like the angler had just pushed in a stake out pole. Was that you?

I'm glad the MicroKing worked for you. I tied on a fresh pink and white one that afternoon. It caught a few perch.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That was me and I saw you pass. I wondered if that was you in the Scout. That turned out to be the hot spot of the evening.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I look forward to fishing and exploring the severn starting next week.
              Shane
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Got out on spa creek for the first time in my yak this afternoon and used for about an hour. Threw the strike king spinner like you guys were talking about and caught a 12" striper ln the first cast! Caught one more smaller stiper and two decent perch all on the spinner. Peddled around some more and called it a night. Certainly nice being able to walk down the hill to truxton park now and be on the water in a few minutes!
                Shane
                Hobie Outback

Comment

I caught an 18" pickerel in spa last week too.

Comment

Dang, didn't think pickeral were that active in 80+degree water.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                      Dang, didn't think pickeral were that active in 80+degree water.
                      This summer I have caught more pickerel than in any previous summer. Last Sat, I caught three in one trip (21", 21", and 16") in Weems Creek -- a record for me in any season outside of winter. I think the pickerel population is cyclical. There were quite a few young pickerel in the mid-Severn creeks and coves last winter. Unless there is some weather anomaly that kills off a bunch of them, we should have another good year this winter. I hope we don't get an early ice covering in the Severn this winter -- that shuts down kayak fishing pretty fast.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                      X