Severn River Crabbing 8/28/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River Crabbing 8/28/12

Been such a long time since I've hit the water with my kayak. Vacation, work, family...its been hectic. But my wife has been wanting some crabs for quite some time (I am really reluctant to buy them these days), so I finally made it out to the water.

I crabbed my normal spot on the Severn, between the bridges on a slope from 6' -14'. 600' trotline, using chicken necks. I started crabbing at 0635. The action was slow but steady for me out there, picking up just a few keepers per run. There were quite a few shorts on the line, consistent with many other reports. They were all dark and rusty though. There were very few jumbos to be had this morning. Most were in the 5.5"-6" range. Big enough to keep & eat, but nothing to brag about.

The majority of the crabs were caught on the deeper half of my line. I didn't feel like moving the line...I knew the pace at which I was catching keepers would be enough to satisfy our needs. I was done crabbing at 910, and ended up with 52 crabs. All but a couple were nice and dark. I'm expecting them to be full of meat, so I'm not too concerned with the lack of bigguns. Not bad for a pre-work crabbing trip. I was off the water by 10am. Got loaded up, changed, put the gear back in storage, and got to work at 11:30! I had no idea that it was gonna rain this morning. I crabbed through a couple of good downpours. it felt kinda refreshing in a weird kinda way.

Here's a pic I took in between one of my runs...

I'm gonna try a different location next time...looking to get a larger grade of crab.
    Last edited by MetroMan; 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM.
    <insert witty comment here>

Thanks for the report, hoping to catch some this weekend...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Not bad for a couple of hours. Thats the beauty of trotlining, the crabs are mostly heavy.

Comment

Working...
      X