Mayo last evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayo last evening

arrived 5:30 to launch, the cobination lock wasn't working and had to drag kayak to the beach. That was a drag. Beautiful evening with the moon coming up a bit later. Fished until 8:30 with a mix of pebbles and perch up to 12". My son elected to stay on the shore and fish landed one perch 12.5. He beat the ole man and he let me know it. NO Reds, recently had been catching on every trip though. Water was rough with a steady blow, a bit more than I expected on the drive down. Finished up the night with a cup of cream of crab soup and a crab cake down in Galesville @ Thursdays.

Wondering if anyone fishes that area?? Lots of docks/piers and shorelined riprap, looks fishy at night anyway, might give it a try. Noticed a lot of fish right off the dock at the restaraunt in the light. We threw crackers in and they tore it up. To big for minows, maybe perch, some tails looked to be undersized rocks. None looked bigger than 8" but who knows whats under them, right.

Did you put in at Mayo Beach Park? I thought that was permit only. Maybe it's okay to put in there after hours but before dusk/dark. There's another county launch site at Carr's Wharf (101 Carrs Wharf Rd., Mayo., 21037.) It's on the Rhode Rive but doesn't look too far from open water. I've never tried it, but it looks interesting. Google A.A. Co. car top launch sites for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
      Did you put in at Mayo Beach Park? I thought that was permit only. Maybe it's okay to put in there after hours but before dusk/dark. There's another county launch site at Carr's Wharf (101 Carrs Wharf Rd., Mayo., 21037.) It's on the Rhode Rive but doesn't look too far from open water. I've never tried it, but it looks interesting. Google A.A. Co. car top launch sites for more info.
      I have the permit for Mayo Beach. 40 bucks for the season and they give you the combo to the locked chain leading to the beach. You can pull up to the beach to launch and then move the car to park on the grass not far from the beach. Problem is that the season permit is over on Sunday until next year. Got the permit through Anne Arundel Recreations and Parks. Had to write a check and send it in the old fashion way, no on-line service for this back when I did it in the spring.

I have used Carr's Wharf several times but hard to turn around if crowded, I have trailer to haul yaks. But, what a beautiful stretch of water in there. Vert peaceful. I have always gone to the right from the launch for some reason and headed back into the creek there. Someday, I will go out to the left.

Comment

Thanks Mango. We had our 40th high school reunion at Mayo Beach Park on Oct. 1 of last year. Beautiful spot, but mother nature did not cooperate that day. It was drizzly the entire day and never made it past 45 degrees! Thank God we had a heated club house with great views.

Thanks for the tip on Carr's Wharf, I may check that out soon. What's the fishing like back up in there? Same as around Mayo Beach?

Comment

Thanks Mango. We had our 40th high school reunion at Mayo Beach Park on Oct. 1 of last year. Beautiful spot, but mother nature did not cooperate that day. It was drizzly the entire day and never made it past 45 degrees! Thank God we had a heated club house with great views.

Thanks for the tip on Carr's Wharf, I may check that out soon. What's the fishing like back up in there? Same as around Mayo Beach?
          I have only caught perch as you would suspect and very tiny stripers, fishtank size. I have seen rays all abck through there, although that was earlier in the summer. A lot of people crab off the public dock there with mixed results.

Comment

I fished Carr's Wharf back in June. The parking is very limited to say the least, maybe 6-8 cars at most. I first headed out across the Rhode River to the Southern shoreline and worked up river. You are right Mango, very nice stretch of water. As you head up river, the shoreline becomes almost entirely undeveloped. The SERC center is up there and there are tons of fishy spots. I caught lots of big perch and small rockfish all along the shoreline. You'll need a couple of days to cover the entire area but it would be worth it. You can also launch from the SERC ramp and that would put you right in the nicest spot. I think they may charge a small fee/donation. This is good backup if the Carr's Wharf lot is full. http://www.serc.si.edu/public_programs/canoe_trip.aspx
            Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
              I fished Carr's Wharf back in June. The parking is very limited to say the least, maybe 6-8 cars at most. I first headed out across the Rhode River to the Southern shoreline and worked up river. You are right Mango, very nice stretch of water. As you head up river, the shoreline becomes almost entirely undeveloped. The SERC center is up there and there are tons of fishy spots. I caught lots of big perch and small rockfish all along the shoreline. You'll need a couple of days to cover the entire area but it would be worth it. You can also launch from the SERC ramp and that would put you right in the nicest spot. I think they may charge a small fee/donation. This is good backup if the Carr's Wharf lot is full. http://www.serc.si.edu/public_programs/canoe_trip.aspx
              Hey Aesiegel, thanks for that launch info, i will check it out soooooon.

Comment

Great guys, thanks!

Mango, when does the permit season open at Mayo? Too bad they shut it down so early, it's still summer for crying out loud!

Comment

Great guys, thanks!

Mango, when does the permit season open at Mayo? Too bad they shut it down so early, it's still summer for crying out loud!
                  good question, i can't remember but I have their letter at work with the info. I will get bact to you. I want to say from memorial to labor day weekends.

Comment

If pebbles means small rock I am adopting the term
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                      you got it right, was wondering if anyone would mention that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                        They can also be called "Arkansas Fish" as in Little Rock.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                        X