Jefferson Patterson launch yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jefferson Patterson launch yesterday

Ventured south yesterday on rt 4 not knowing where I was going to go. Wanted something new. Saw the sign for Jefferson Patterson Park. Wagon Ho! Not the best location in my opinion but not the worse either. After unloading the gear, they require you to park your car up in a parking lot, a bit of a hike. Pull the gear down the bank to the water, not to bad and a nice little beach to push off from. Suspose to pay launch fee at the visitor center but they were closed so I by-passed the payment part. Anyway, not much going on, 6-7 small to medium perch and 1 red in the 12" range. I did better at catching some rain there and loaded back up and yelled mush. Went on down to the boat launch on rt 4 at Solomon's bridge. Nice and there was an open tackle shop right there in the parkinglot. Put in and went here andt there only scoring 1 10" perch at the 3rd bridge piling. Jig a bucktail for while and then switched to a gulp set up and had the tail torn off, and that my friends that was it for the day. The evening turned out to be beautiful and the sun made a late showing which made everything in the world feel alright again. I will say this, my Yukon can suck down some gas and the prices are going to go higher. Hope this doesn't put a kink in my late season fishing.

I've paddled at Jefferson Patterson once with my wife but never fished it. Thanks for the info.

As for the Solomons Bridge, I've jigged the hell out of it with little to show. That entire area seems like it should be pretty fishy, but you couldn't tell by my catches. However, some nice perch, blues, and stripers are sometimes caught by the pilings on the St. Mary's side. A few years ago, a keeper redfish was caught from the pier. I will say that the lighted piers on the St. Mary's side sometimes hold stripers after dark, and that oyster shoal can be good for topwater stripers in the evening and flounder during the day.

I hear you about gas prices. My truck only gets about 11-13mpg, so I usually don't travel more than 1.5hrs from my house. My wife's car gets mileage that's 3x better, but transporting everything in it is a real pain.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

We have fished this area many times, you should be able to pick up some nice hard heads just above the opening to St. Lenards creek on a incomimg tide. On the south side of the bridge in the fall nice trout can be had by slowly trolling in shallow water from the bridge out towards Green Holy pond.Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        I've paddled at Jefferson Patterson once with my wife but never fished it. Thanks for the info.

As for the Solomons Bridge, I've jigged the hell out of it with little to show. That entire area seems like it should be pretty fishy, but you couldn't tell by my catches. However, some nice perch, blues, and stripers are sometimes caught by the pilings on the St. Mary's side. A few years ago, a keeper redfish was caught from the pier. I will say that the lighted piers on the St. Mary's side sometimes hold stripers after dark, and that oyster shoal can be good for topwater stripers in the evening and flounder during the day.

I hear you about gas prices. My truck only gets about 11-13mpg, so I usually don't travel more than 1.5hrs from my house. My wife's car gets mileage that's 3x better, but transporting everything in it is a real pain.
        thanks for the info on the st marys side. might head across next time, your right. area looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by BareBones View Post
          We have fished this area many times, you should be able to pick up some nice hard heads just above the opening to St. Lenards creek on a incomimg tide. On the south side of the bridge in the fall nice trout can be had by slowly trolling in shallow water from the bridge out towards Green Holy pond.Frank.
          thanks

Comment

Working...
          X