susky stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• susky stripers

monday morning me and topwater went out around 5 am. he hooked up instantly then it got off the hook. couple minutes later he caught a 16 incher. then it was my turn when we went to a different rapids. i caught a 23 and a 25 incher, then hooked up and lost another one. they seemed to turn off then and he got a smally and i got a couple cats. the stripers were caught on broken back rebels that was blue and silver. was really shocked that there was rock up there that size this time of the year.

Nice! Did you fish near the conowingo dam?

Comment

Hey susqeyaker,

I love to put in near the dam and fish. I am in Joppa. Let me know when you go out next, I might be able to join you.

Comment

Thanks for the report!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

we actually put in at port deposit. about 2 miles donwn stream. thats were the last of the rapids are , from there we go upstream. gona try it again probly saturday morning at 5 am. would like to see you guys there. if you see a blaze orange shirt thats me.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. I've never fished that portion because of the moving water. I was considering trying the flats this weekend but with the rain, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll see you up there. Decisions, decisions.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I was going to try the flats Friday morning but now I may have to reconsider... where exactly in Port do you put in? At the boat launch in town? If so do they require a launch permit for yaks?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

The current is no problem if they have only one small gate open. You can paddle up and down all day long. I put in at the fishermans park and mostly fish around the island closest to the dam. There is a number you can call to see what they are going to release for the day. Some say it isn't accurate, but its been right the several times I have called and then fished the next morning. 888.457.4076 is the number to call for scheduled water release. It is subject to change with out notice.

This weekend isn't any good for me. CBKA tournament is this weekend at the bay bridge. Can't wait.

Comment

Thanks, I will let you know.

Comment

we go out of town on the road to the dam just past the railroad bridge is pull off spots . just pick one and park. we paddle up to casting distance from the front of the rapids and start casting. they dont really bite that much when its lite outside. we ussually fish for smallies and perch and catfish then. maybe we will see you up there.

Comment

How do you do on the smallie action? What do you throw at them?

Comment

some days are better than others, low tide seems best. as far as lures they have hit pretty much everything in my box. poppers, torpedos, jitterbugs,shallow diving plugs,all types of spinners and jigs with plastic tails. its pretty shallow there so when you hook one they are very acrobatic and jump 5 or 6 times , its a blast. just checked the tide charts and its high tide in the morning so i will probly go to bellvue and fish saturday or sunday.

Comment

Working...
                        X