Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day Weekend Janes Island / Chincoteague / OC / BB

Late report but here it is

Got a head start on traffic and headed down to Janes Island Friday 8/31. Arrived around 1730 and launched heading north out the canal towards a couple of holes I hoped to get a flounder or 2 out of. Back up plan was to fish fish shallow for specks. Friday night was slow with only a few craoker and a skate but Saturday morning when I started fishing shallow things really picked up. Went through 3 bags of gulp swimming minnows while landing 20+ specks up to 17inches, 20+ reds with some close to the slot, 6 or 8 rock with a few keepers, a few large white perch, a few more small croaker and a 12 inch flounder. Best location was north of Janes island around part of the oyster preserve in cuts and runs in 3 fow or less. Found one little cove in particular that all the above fish had a school of bait cornered and were tearing them up. Almost non stop action for about an hour and a half before I decided it was time to move on. Off the water around 1100 saturday and headed across to a free county launch in chincoteague bay.

Saturday 1400-1730, after loading up on some more gulp and getting something to eat I decided to drop in on some new water. Launched at a free county launch into Parker Bay. Pretty nice launch but all the surrounding water I found was 4fow or less without many countours. I did manage a pretty nice red, 16-17 inches, but that was it. Lots of shoreline and bait around but I couldn't locate much for fish.

Decided to make the run up to OC and fish the Rt 50 bridge. Arrived around 1900 and launched from the Marina at Sunset and Golf Course. Fished a strong incoming until 2330 when things started slowing down. Fished gulp on 1/2 ounce jigheads and picked up 12-15 grey trout to 17 inches and a few rock around the same size. Next morning I launched around 0500 at the end of the incoming and began targeting flounder. Fished till 1400 and had a steady pick of fish to 19 inches. Best bait was again gulp on a jighead although I did catch a few on a flounder rig with croaker strips. Also pulled in a 15 inch croaker. After some lunch and a cat nap, launched again and fished the incoming till around 2130. A few more flounder but much slower than the morning.

Wrapped the weekend up by fishing the BB on Monday. Launched around 0530 from G-dock and headed to the bridge. 2nd cast had a 14 inch rock and picked another one up a few casts latter but it slowed way down for me after that. Worked my way out the west bound span ltj'ing without any luck, picked up a few spot and worked my out again live lining. Picked up 1 20 inch rock that was in pretty sorry shape. Also had blues chew a couple of my spot up. Headed to deeper water and found a hug school of 8-10 inch rock around one of the pylons. Called it a day around noon and jsut got off the water in time to miss the shower that came through. Nice weekend on the water and looking forward to redeeming myself at the BB this weekend

Wow, a fishing marathon!! Nice work on the variety of nice fish you got this weekend, sounds like some good pullage!
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats on all the nice fish. Sounds like that marathon really paid off.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Wow! You are a machine, thanks for the report! I know you'll be in the CBKA tournament this weekend, but what are your plans for next weekend?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          Wow! You are a machine, thanks for the report! I know you'll be in the CBKA tournament this weekend, but what are your plans for next weekend?
          Fishing cbka then going to head south down the shore and visit some new water this weekend, not sure where yet. Next weekend I will be visiting some friends in pa.

Comment

WOW - that is a lot of nice fishing! most envious of the weakfish, or maybe the trout, or the flounder, or,... WTG!!

Comment

Nice chimo, thats a lot of species!!

Comment

A couple pics

First fish from friday

One of my better reds

Dinner sized spec from Janes

Lots of spots

Croaker from the Rt 50 Bridge, my best yet

Dink black sea bass, a first for me

Grey Trout / Weakfish

Dinner, err I mean flounder from OC

Hands got a little wrinkled fishing in the rain on sunday.

Pretty sorry looking Rock from the BB

Comment

Pulling a Chimo \ ˈpʊlɪŋ ə ˈʃɪm (ˈ)oʊ \ idiom

1. Fishing 3 or more consecutive days in 3 or more different locations.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

nice Wayne. i hope the bridge action heats up for this weekend. going to janes next weekend

Comment

Great story! It reminds me of what I used to do when I was < 30. Now, I get tired just thinking of a trip like that.

And besides, I don't have room in the yak for my chiropractor.

Enjoy the flounder,

John
                      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                      X