Dink slam @ Piney Point, 9/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dink slam @ Piney Point, 9/6

I wrote this up this morning, but I don't know where it went. Fishing report, take 2.

Things were lining up for Thursday evening to be perfect for re-creating the success Kevin had last week: good tide and current for evening topwater, the boss was gone, and the weather had been stable for a few days. That is, until we got 2" of rain in the middle of the day. Oh well, I decided to go anyway.

I hit the water a bit after 4pm, which was mid flood, and fished until about 8:30 when the current went slack. I was really hoping for some keeper stripers and specks. I used a wide variety of lures and tactics, but I ended up with a bunch of dinks: 8 12" stripers, 2 12" bluefish, 1 12" redfish, and 1 10" flounder. Dink slam! The redfish was cool because it was a super-dark rusty brown when I caught it. I saw a flash of brown and white when it first hit and thought it was a flounder. When I got it back to the surface, it was more of a rusty red, and I thought I hooked a nice croaker. I got a little lighter when I pulled it out of the water. All the other reds I've caught this summer have been rather silvery. The photo doesn't really capture the rusty color:

It occurred to me last night that I've only caught 3 fish over 17" while saltwater fishing this year, which is rather discouraging. Fishing was slow for the people fishing from shore, too. On the positive side, I bought an older Bass Pro Extreme spinning rod from a guy on Tidalfish to replace the one I lost in the Mattawoman. It performed perfectly for throwing everything from 1/8oz Beetle spins to the 1.5oz popper I used that evening, which made my day. I'm going to see if I can track down another one to have a spare.

The sunset was obscured by clouds, so here's a pic of a photogenic stand of trees by my (apparently empty) perch spot:

I also saw <MIKE> scouting some locations by car, so I hope he has more luck finding nice fish than I did. It was an otherwise dull evening, but the sky cleared up by the end of my trip, and it was cool fishing under the stars. I need to make a trip out to Steuart's Pier to see if there are any fishing under the lights at night.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120
Working...
X