First outing in new-to-me Mini-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First outing in new-to-me Mini-X

Last week I purchased a Malibu Mini-X kayak from Chimo. I was intrigued by a short (9'3") and light (39 lbs) kayak that would fit inside my minivan with the doors closed. My current backup/guest boat is about 12' long and much heavier.

This afternoon I water tested it for the first time in Weems Creek. I am used to seeing a long stretch of plastic in front of me on my 12' Drifter and 14' Manta Ray. Not so on the Mini-X. The foot well area runs nearly all the way to the bow.

Nevertheless, I did not feel uncomfortable. The seating position was decent and the seating area stayed dry. I left the scuppers in the foot well area open -- they drained nicely.

The Mini-X has two in-hull rod holders in front of the seat and two behind. I used the two behind for trolling and caught about 20 perch and nearly ten rockfish to 14.5" in an hour and a half.

The Mini-X has two small sealable hatches that I can reach from my sitting position. I have never had that type of storage before -- I like it.

I am glad I bought the Mini-X. It will replace the Drifter as my back-up/guest boat. See my ad for the Drifter if you are interested.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Glad to hear the yak worked out, John. However, I am surprised someone as tall as you can fit in it.

Southerly--there's some touring company that makes 1 sit on top model based on a touring hull. I can't remember which company it is, but I've always wanted a super-fast paddle yak. This one might fit the bill, but it's not the model I was thinking of:
    http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/sit_on_top/vector_14/
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice John,
      Malibu makes some really nice Kayaks..
      GB

Comment

Working...
      X