Bay Bridge 9/14/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 9/14/12

My first launch from G docks. The day started kinda slow cause it was my first real trip out to the Bay Bridge ever really. I live lined spot and fished with blood worms for about 2 hours but there wasn't much action. Started fishing right when it was peak high tide.

When the tide started changing a bit around 8 ish was when I got all my action. The first action I got was on bloodworm. caught a nice 7 inch spot (not large but respectable). I decided to change over to fish finder rigs figuring that if spot were on the bottom there would be other larger fish down there too. 15 minutes later hooked into a nice 19" blue. 10 minutes later my rod bent over while I was messing with my spot rod. Completely missed the hit.

Hooked into 2 more (18", 19") blues and 1 19" rock and 1 15" rock.

The Rock had some kind of disease. The spine was bent and the stomach looked flat. NOt sure if the water conditions are doing something to the fish.

Any ideas why this is happening?
    Attached Files
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Nice report. Were you using cut spot on your fish finder rig?

As for the deformed rockfsh, Im not sure if that's a disease or due to the fish being injured when they were small, but I caught one like that out there a couple months ago. Mine was about 15." I've also caught large mouth bass that looked the same.

Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

hmm.. interesting. I ended up just throwing it back cause I wasn't sure. Yeah I was using cut spot.
      The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Congrats on catching some keepers on your first trip. Nice work.

The spinal deformity is likely scoliosis. I think it's just a genetic luck of the draw, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I've seen some fish with that condition that looked otherwise healthy. In fact, I kept one striper that looked perfectly healthy until I filleted it and noticed the kink in the spine.

As for being skinny, it could be a number of things. In addition to what everyone else mentioned, the water temps this year were high, which is hard on stripers even if they're healthy. A fish like that might have more difficultly catching its prey. I think high temps can be associated with higher prevalence of myco, too. Fish that are starting to show symptoms or that are recovering can be skinny.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Those are some strange looking fish. I caught a musky on the upper Potomac that looked kinda like that a few years ago in the spring. I was thinking that the musky had a broken back or some sort of deformity.

Comment

Working...
          X