Piney Creek in Tall Timbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Creek in Tall Timbers

I managed to get out of work early today, well 1/2 a day off to watch a tree surgeon take a big tree out of my yard. At any rate he was gone by 3:00 so I put my kayak in the water in Piney Creek in Tall Timbers. I paddled up the river to the entrance of the little marina of the Landings at Piney Point where I caught a handful of white perch the biggest being about 10 1/2 inches on a beetle spin. It looked like rain so I headed back to the creek mouth trolling the beetle spin along the way. I caught a bunch more perch. Once I got into the creek I cast against the rip-rap on the entrance and trolled along the grass banks. I probably caught between 1 or 2 dozen perch. I drifted for croaker/flounder on the outgoing tide using Gulp Blood Worms to no avail. (I am not convinced that Gulp is better than bait.). At any rate I spent I nice couple of hours on the water. Nothing great to report but it was nice.

I was hoping I'd see blues breaking, catch a puppy drum, or some small rock but all I got was perch. Still it was better than work

Tall Timbers Kayaker,
    Olive Pro-Angler 14

we caught micro rocks and puppy drum at the jetty in the yaks last wednesday. no hint of a keeper but a great night on the water.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

That area looks fishy. I'm surprised there wasn't more action there. As for breaking blues, I've only seen them a few times in the years I've fished Piney Point. I'm not sure why they're not more common there.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Ictalurus,

I've lived here for about 9 years now. In previous years I've seen plenty of breaking fish on either side of the creek and south of the Stewart piers as you head to the bridge at St. George's island. This year has been very disappointing. I've only seen a few schools even when in a power boat.

Tall Timbers Kayaker,
        Olive Pro-Angler 14

Comment

Working...
        X