Strange 15 minutes in Weems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange 15 minutes in Weems

I had hoped to get out on Weems Creek by mid-afternoon. I had to wait for a contractor to finish. I had the van loaded, and minutes after he left at 3:40, I headed to the Tucker St ramp. My new Mini-X is quick to launch -- I was underway by 4:15. I carried my usual three ultralight rods -- one with a spinner, one with a jighead and Gulp. On the third rod I tied a metal spoon, with the intention of jigging an oyster bar in the river.

Now for the strange time period. I often follow the same route when I plan to fish the outer part of Weems. Today was no exception. I quickly reached an area that is very dependable with perch. My first fish of the day (and only fish for 45 mins) was a pickerel. That is not too unusual. Then I looked up, and on the shoreline nearby was a fox with very short fur (no fluffy tail) staring at me. A moment later I set two rods in the rear rod holders and began to paddle. About 30 seconds later I heard a clunk, then looked back to see no rod in the rear port rod holder. That rod was a great 6' Fenwick graphite rod that had one unusual feature -- it said "Carbon Veil" on the rod just above the grip. It is not often that you see a rod with your name on it, so I hated to lose it. The reel was a Shimano Stradic 1000 that was less than year old. Through my carelessness, I had just dumped $200 of gear overboard.

I don't normally have a rod rigged with a heavy jig, but by good fortune I had one today. I slowly paddled and drifted back and forth over the short path that I had traveled before losing the rod while dragging and jigging the metal lure. After 10 minutes, I was ready to give up. Then I felt some resistance. I slowly wound in my line until I saw monofilament caught in the jig's hook. I gingerly wound the line in hand-over hand. After 15 ft, the weight approached the surface. Instead of being my rod, it was a branch and a crab eating the Gulp on my original hook. I continued winding in until the rod tip came into view. With great relief, I brought the rod and reel on board. I quickly pulled out my water bottle and rinsed the reel. It had only been submerged 10 minutes, and after yesterday's rain, the water was probably less salty than it has been in a while.

To add to the surreal period, while I was searching for the sunken rod, I was only a few feet away from a dock. For several minutes I could see a pickerel sitting at the surface under the dock watching me move back and forth. He did not spook -- he seemed curious.

I decided to keep fishing. I did try jigging on the oyster bar, but could not find a fish there. I came back into Weems and trolled the ultralights for the next hour. Twice, the submerged rod went down hard with a 14.5" and a 15.5" rockfish. I was surprised to find only a few perch today.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Maybe the perch headed out to deeper open water with all the rain and run-off.

Glad you got your rod and reel back, what a relief. Last March I wasn't so lucky. It was a cheaper rod/reel but I also lost my cell phone in an idiotic attempt to board an older sit- on -top from a pier. Water was cold too, about 45 degrees. That's the last time I've taken my cell out on the water.

Comment

I enjoyed reading your story of tragedy and triumph, thanks for sharing! The fox that you saw probably had mange. Mange is a somewhat common skin disease for fox that makes the hair fall out irregularly and generally makes them look pretty ugly.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Great story and report John! Cheers.
        What you give, you become.

Comment

great story!
          sigpic

Comment

My roomate lost my ultralite on monday. we did a duo effort on the PA and I brought a cooler for him to sit on in the back and before we go to the 1st spot he dumped, lost my rod, grabbed the paddle, and lost and juggled his costas for a good 10 seconds under water til he got a good grasp.

*this wasn't the first time duo on the PA, just the 1st time with a coooler seat. Luckily the reel was cheep, but it was a ultralite ugly stik thats not expensive, but I realy liked it and have caught a lot of fish on it. Didn't have a heavy enough jig so I will try for it next time out.

Comment

Sometimes the "best catch" doesn't involve a fish.

Last week I thought that the perch had moved out from under the docks into the weed edges in 4-6 feet.

I had a fox like that show up in my backyard a few days back, scarfing down the cat's food. Ugly critter, thought that it was a flashback to my youthful indiscretions of the 1960's. Didn't think that it was real. I'm glad somebody else saw one, so I know it's not just me!

Comment

Thanks for sharing the story, John. That is a huge relief about that rod that you were able to rescue from the water!
                Sun Fishin'

Comment

Umm.... let's see.... He gets a new replacement kayak, wins a new boat and retrieves a lost rod. John, any chance I can get you to buy me a powerball ticket?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                    Umm.... let's see.... He gets a new replacement kayak, wins a new boat and retrieves a lost rod. John, any chance I can get you to buy me a powerball ticket?
                    Me too!

I'm glad you recovered your rod. I still haven't found an adequate replacement for the rod I lost on the Mattawoman.

Pickerel are funny. If you're really quiet, they don't seem too skittish. I've caught a number of them under my kayak in shallow water (3-4ft) while bouncing the lure off the bottom. In fact, one of the biggest pickerel I've caught hit right at the boat while I was shaking off the snot my jig collected off the bottom in Spa Creek.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                      John does have some righteous mojo at the moment.
                      Hobie PA 12

Comment

I put the new Tracker boat/motor/and trailer up for sale on Tues on Craigs List and Tidalfish. So far only Craigs List spammers have replied. For example:

"Thanks i will be adding $200 to your price,so pls put it off on the craigslist site,and pls consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please note that I have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world,he would be coming for the pickup, after you have received payment, which would be through paypal, If this is acceptable, advice soon as I am an Marine officer and am at work right now on sea.I can only pay through pay pal at the moment as I do not have access to my bank account online,but I have it attached to my pay pal account, and that is why I insisted on using pay pal to pay,so all i need now is your pay pal email address to make the payments.i will be expecting your paypal email address so i can send the payment. I want you to provide me with the following information for me to proceed with the Payment... Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Full name:
                        and the pick up agent will be available for the pick up after once the transaction is done through paypal. awaits your your quick response shortly"

If I can move that boat soon, I too will believe in my Mojo. Until the boat gets sold, it is still a tax liability.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John:

You sure are leading a charmed life... at least lately. Glad to hear you got your rod back.

Denny

Comment

Working...
                          X