Mattawoman 9/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 9/20

I had originally planned to go to the South River this morning since I haven't fished it yet this year, but the only bait shop on the way that I know of wasn't open until 10am so I decided to go freshwater and try for catfish at Mattawoman. The weather was perfect, water temps 68 in early morning rising to 74 in afternoon. I paddled out from launch to about 1/4 mile past the barge, then worked my way back up to the barge, dropping my line every 20 feet or so. I caught 6 cats total, 4 blues and 2 bull heads. I kept the blues for dinner and released the bulls. I had a 7th hit my line and it was either a monster or I had a weak spot in my line that I wasn't aware of. On it's first strike my kayak tipped a little and my line snapped. For bait I just used frozen cooked shrimp I bought from the grocery store, and put 2 shrimp on the hook at a time (4/0 circle hook) The most productive depths was around the 8-9ft range, not the 10-13ft like I expected. The biggest was 20" and caught near the barge in 9ft of water. The way these fish were hitting was interesting...some would do the typical jab jab jab bites, others I just felt one small tap......would wait for another bite, only to realize it just inhaled the bait and was sitting with it in it's mouth not moving anywhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps80c87b4a.jpg
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

nice fish, good to see the old shrimp work. my buddy in SC lets the thaw and get all smelly
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Nice. My favorite is when they slam it going full throttle. See any snakehead activity?
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I didn't see any snakeheads exactly, but there was a lot of weed action going on, so there was probably a few SH in there. I did see a water moccasin though! Also, forgot to mention, but an old man made some comments to me at the dock and said people were catching Rockfish in Mattawomen. That surprised me since I figured it was only holding freshwater species.
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Thats a sink full of deliciousness, nice work!

There are some really big cats in there, you never know what could have gotten away.

During our meet and greet this summer, some small Stripers were caught. Stripers are very tolerant of freshwater, which is why they have been stocked in freshwater reservoirs in many places. As a kid fishing in the gunpowder falls for trout, occaisionally I'd see a few small Stripers miles upstream from the main river.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            Thats a sink full of deliciousness, nice work!

There are some really big cats in there, you never know what could have gotten away.

During our meet and greet this summer, some small Stripers were caught. Stripers are very tolerant of freshwater, which is why they have been stocked in freshwater reservoirs in many places. As a kid fishing in the gunpowder falls for trout, occaisionally I'd see a few small Stripers miles upstream from the main river.
            I knew about hybrid Stripers in freshwater, just didn't know pure Stripers could adapt to anything less salty than brackish water. That makes for better fishing though, they have a much more widespread territory.
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I've caught stripers as high up as fletchers on the Potomac in DC.

Nice cats!
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                I've caught stripers as high up as fletchers on the Potomac in DC.

Nice cats!
                Spring time is best to catch them near there. Big Ones too and you can catch them from the shore.
                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Comment

Working...
                X