Kinda slow @ PLO, 9/214

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda slow @ PLO, 9/214

It had been awhile since my father and I fished together, so we decided to hit Point Lookout. Actually, it was his idea because I was pulling for hitting the Mattawoman. Dad wanted some big water fun, so PLO it was. We got a late start and didn't hit the water until about noon. We fished until about 3:30, which was from slack to almost max flood. Mid day a slack tide isn't optimal, but it's always best to fish when you can. Water temperature was about 76*, and salinity was 17 according to the buoy. That's pretty high, even for this time of the year.

We started off working the harbor area, and it was slow, which wasn't too surprising. I eventually picked up a small redfish and ended up juggling it for a bit (the fish is upside down by my sonar display):

It hit a 4" chartreuse Gulp grub on a 3/8oz head.

We headed out into the river and did some trolling:

No hits trolling or at the point. It was surprisingly rough and windy at the point, so we didn't stay there long. We headed to some of Joe's rock piles to try for some flounder. I threw out a Spro bucktail with a Gulp jerk shad and dead sticked it while we ate lunch. My rod bounced hard once, but I missed it. I set it up again and caught this guy shortly after:

At a whopping 11", that was my personal best black sea bass. Pretty cool. We did a few more drifts and Dad missed either a monster blue or a flounder. Something with teeth bounced his rod good and bit the Gulp grub off just ahead of the hook, but Dad was too slow.

The next few drifts were unproductive, so we headed back to the inlet, which was similarly unproductive. We didn't see any birds or breaking fish, but I was waiting for things to bust wide open. Lots of birds were looking around in a seemingly anticipatory manner. Oh well.

We worked several areas that I usually don't bother with today and found some interesting structure. I'm definitely going to go back and work them more thoroughly when the current is moving better. One good thing about slow fishing is that there's plenty of time for catching up. Plus, it's hard to beat sitting out on the river and eating a fancy lunch made by Ma.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

should have taken a pic of that excellent lunch!!!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

btw hit st jeromes and at dark it got real fun....except the rock and drum couldn't break 17".....so tempting...so frustrating
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for the report. I'm sorry to hear that it was slow but I'm glad you didn't get skunked. I might go on Saturday if the weather holds. It looks like it might be windy with afternoon T-storms. Maybe I will try St. Jerome's or Piney Point or some other place.
        <MIKE>
        Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
        Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

I had planned to fish this weekend but family comes first- winds shouldn't stop you- break out a NOAA map and figure out safe places to fish in the lee of the winds- works for me- I never let winds dictate when I fish- thunderstorms are an entirely different matter- I am allergic to electricity-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X