13.5 inch citation perch while yak fishing in black walnut creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13.5 inch citation perch while yak fishing in black walnut creek

Today my alarm rang at 6 o’clock so I took the dog out and saw the trees and just knew I wasn’t going on the boat today so I just went back to bed. So later in the day after I did all my homework I went perch fishing on my yak in black walnut creek. I had already set the minnow trap out the night before because the plan was to go flounder fishing today so when I got to the pier I simply took out all of the little minnows and put the big ones back in and I put more bait in it. So I paddled out to my best spot and hooked my minnow on the jig head and while I was doing this I saw about a 20-25 inch striper jump clean out of the water 10 feet away from me and when it landed I saw its tail swimming and it was chasing anchovies in less than a foot of water. I only had my ultra-light with jighead and no lures or anything so I couldn’t catch it. I have never caught keeper stripers in blackwalnut creek but next time I’m going to bring my topwater rod. Anyway I cast my minnow out near a pier out and got hit pretty quickly and it was a nice 10 inch perch. After that I had steady action of 10 -12 inch perch and the last fish was a nice 13.5 inch fish. As you can see in the pic I got a 5 gallon bucket with an aerator in the garage full of 4-5 inch bull minnows waiting for the flounder tomorrow . tomorrow were going to get spot to liveline,then flounder fish while the tides going and then liveline/jig and then troll for mac(hopefully if they are still there). I hope we can get a keeper red on the minnows because they simply love them .
    Attached Files

Great kid great!

I think we may look back this year and remember what an awesome year it has been for fishing in general, and especially for large white perch.

W. perch are so easy to take for granted, but we've really got it great this year. Along with fresh flounder, w. perch are the best eating fish in the Bay, and are right there with blues as the best fighting fish pound for pound in the Bay.

Good luck tomorrow, I look forward to your next outstanding report!

Comment

yeah i like perch they are always around and fun to catch and the first fish besides rock i catch in the year

Comment

I rarely keep white perch and can't remember every eating them- caught some monsters, too- but wasn't fishing for them- on UL tackle they are fairly good fighters- Small swim shads in natural color works best for me, but so do the 2 and 3 inch chartreuse gulp curly tails on 1/8 or 1/16 oz jig heads-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice fish Andrew. Don't forget to register your citation perch. After all, you never know what a 13.5" perch could lead to
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

very nice perch and I agree with most that perch are great table fare. Must have been awsome to have seen that rock jump like that. Those moments are rarely caught on a camera.

Comment

hey guys quick update, i put the fish in the fridge last night and the plan was to take it to martys after we went fishing today but i took him out of the fridge this morning and he shrunk to only 12.5 inches i was so sad so i dont get a citations now

Comment

Working...
              X