First time from Downs Park 9/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time from Downs Park 9/22

My friend invited me to my first kayak fishing trip yesterday Sept 23 from about 10:30am-1:30pm. I have only just gotten into fishing this year, and have done mostly fresh water fishing so I was super excited. I rode on a tandem with another person (who was also kayak fishing for the first time), and my friend was on a solo. Overall my friend on the solo caught one white perch, and one menhaden. We didn't catch anything in the tandem. We were using night crawlers as bait. We were hoping to catch bluefish, but didn't catch anything on the cut bait.

The conditions got choppier as the day went on. The wind was getting stronger and the waves were getting bigger. There was one point where my friend and I in the tandem were just relaxing having a good time, and then next thing we knew we were flipped over in the water haha. We weren't paying attention to the water, nor were we position correctly againts the wave (we were parallel with it instead of perpendicular facing it). Fortunately we didn't loose too much. We had three rods. When I surfaced from the water I somehow had two of the rods in my arms (both of them were borrowed rods so thank goodness those were saved). It took me a while to realize I had lost my rod. It was my first rod, and the reel was a gift from Sun (from this forum) who introduced me into fishing . I also lost my Ravens cap and my glasses, which I also didn't realize for a few mintues because I was getting over the fact that we flipped over. We had also drifted really far, and had to figh the current on the way back. So we didn't get to do much fishing. I should have put out a trolling rod or something, but oh well. We still had a great time, and it was a very good learning experience. I hope to be back on a yak again, and eventually get one of my own.
    Last edited by firemunkee; 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Wow, what a first day of kayak fishing.

Well, you've done 2 rare things already. 1. Turtle (flip) 2. Catch a menhaden on hook and line.

Too bad you lost your rod. That sucks.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

glad you guys are ok, gotta kepp your head in the game

Comment

Actually, getting the turtle and lost rod out of the way early probably isn't a bad thing. Congrats on your first trip. Hopefully, future trips will be less eventful.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
          X