Chesapeake Beach 9/23/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chesapeake Beach 9/23/2012

Roy and I decided to fish the bay on Sunday and chose Chesapeake Beach. This was the first time for both of us at this location and we launched from Marina West at 8:15 AM. As soon as we went under the bridge to head to the bay we knew we had made the right choice. We could see fish breaking in the creek all the way to the bay. We started catching rockfish in the 9 - 11 inch range and it took us over an hour to make it to the end of the jetties. We started fishing around the north end of the jetty and before we realized it, the wind had blown us to the south jetty. We were not having much luck and after the third attempt to fish around the north jetty, we ended up back at the south jetty and paddled into calmer water behind the tip of the jetty. At this point I was casting a 4 inch white grub at the jetty point when my line started screaming off my reel, the result was my catching my first keeper rockfish (18 1/2 inches) from my kayak.

After that we decided to head back into the creek to continue fishing in calmer waters. By 12:30 PM we had caught about two dozen small rockfish, two small specks and one spot. Several other fishermen we spoke to had caught several Redfish, but we did not have any luck finding the Redfish. Overall, a great time fishing and we were impressed with the marina. The marina only charged $5 a car for launching. We plan to return again Sunday to check out the creek and catch some Redfish and larger specks.

Attached Files
    WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Originally posted by Southerly
    congratulations on kayak keeper!!! i expect many more are in your near future.
    Thanks Southerly and I like the way you think! My next goal is to get my buddy Roy's picture posted with his first keeper...maybe this weekend.
    WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

Congrats on your first legal striper. Also, thanks for the info about the marina. That's good to know, and I've been looking at those jetties on Google Earth for a while now.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

My old stomping grounds!! the jetties are great for fish right there. Also, rumor has it from all the old charter captains that up the creek there used to be a lot of big yellow perch and Largemouth bass, but were talking the 70's and 80's. But who knows I've never ventured that far up it.

Comment

Very nice, congrats! I caught my first rockfish ever around there last year. Cool place. I did venture pretty far back into that creek, but I had 1 lure at that time and it didn't catch anything back there, but it certainly looks fishy. And if all else fails, you can go south and look for fossils in the cliffs. Quite fascinating. I found a few big old shark teeth.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

congrats on the nice fish! the guys at marina west are cool and its a nice place to launch but the wind is the enemy to kaykak fishing, sure the yak can handle the chop but its not fun trying to fish in it

Comment

nice fish and with the cost of rockfish @ 18. per lb. filet @ WholeFoods better off catching your own.

Comment

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. We were speaking to several people while fishing in the creek asking if anyone was catching fish further up the creek and the responses ranged from "There's nothing up there" to "You should be able to catch some large specks up the creek". So, weather permitting this weekend, we'll try and find out what is up the creek.
                WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

Working...
                X