7 species at St Jerome's Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 species at St Jerome's Creek

This morning I put the Oasis tandem yak on the car and went down to St Jerome's with my dad, who almost never goes fishing. We launched from the free launch on Fresh Pond Neck rd around 8am at low tide, and started fishing right there, on our way to the inlet.

It felt kind of like a slow day, maybe because I wanted to catch more so my dad would have more fun, but somehow, we managed 7 species between the 2 of us.

- 1 Spot: I still have not caught a spot. But now my dad has. 4" chartreuse gulp mullet.
    - 1 Large perch. I caught the 11 incher right off the launch. 4" chartreuse gulp mullet, slow jigging near shore.
    - 1 14" bluefish: I caught it in the inlet on a redfish magic (yes! first fish on the magic)
    - 2 small flounder: My slow reeling dad caught them both, and also lost 2 more at the boat. gulp.
    - 1 freaking needlefish! My dad caught it and was like WTF is this?!? sparkling green BA with spinner, red garlic tail.
    - 5 stripers under 15". All in the inlet, on 4" chartreuse gulp mullet and Salt/pepper BA
    - 3 redfish, including a keeper! had to pinch the tail to get it over 18, but it's legal. My dad caught it on 4" chartreuse gulp mullet near shore. It was a great fight on ultra light and he was freaking out. Fish was taking out drag and he didn't know what to do... I just told him to let the fish take the line out when he wants to. When he stops pulling, start reeling. Beautiful fish.

Weather was beautiful. Several other boats fishing, but not a whole lot of traffic.

Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Thanks for the report, especialy proving that keeper reds are in the creek.
    Congratulations to your DAD. That was a nice Red. Yes, pinching tail is the rule for both max and min size limit.
    BTW, was he using a gold spinner with the chartreuse gulp?

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thanks for the report. Sounds like an awesome day with your dad. I hope one day I can take my dad out and catch fish out of a yak too...

lol about the spot...haha
      Sun Fishin'

Comment

Looks like a nice day of fishing Mike! It's always great to get on the water with your dad, and I'm sure makes it even better when he catches a keeper red!
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Wow, how on earth is it possible to catch a spot on a 4" gulp swimming mullet. Second, Im not sure if its just the way the picture is taken or what, but that needleefish looks huge! Leaderboard material! Congrats on the red and variety of species. I have the same hopes of catching a lot of nice fish when I take my dad, but its really all about the time on the water that you spent together.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That is a beautiful red! Congrats! Must have been a lot of fun on an ultralight!
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice red, how are you going to cook it? My wife thinks frying a fish ruins it.

Comment

Well done, Mike! Sounds like an awesome trip, and it looks like your father had a blast. I'm soooo jealous of the keeper red. Very nice fish.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Way to go Mike! I hit the creek with my wife Sat midday just to spend some time together. She outfished me and lost a keeper trout. It bounced off the deck and back into the water as she landed it! Fishing is good family time for sure. Here is the happy lady!
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                    Second, Im not sure if its just the way the picture is taken or what, but that needleefish looks huge! Leaderboard material! .
                    That might be a houndfish. They are essentially oversized needlefish. I don't know how to distinguish them except for size.

Congratulations on a good day of fishing.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Mike, Congrats to you and your dad on a fine day of fishing. That needle fish looks wicked!
                      <MIKE>
                      Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
                      Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

On behalf of my DAD, thanks for the congrats. He had a blast.

BTW, was he using a gold spinner with the chartreuse gulp?
                        Redfish did not go after the gold spinners. I tried all day with a redfish magic with gulp. Only caught a bluefish on it. All redfish caught yesterday (and all the ones I've caught previously this year) have been on the 4" chartreuse gulp mullet on 1/8 jig head with a small hook. I haven't had as much luck with bigger hooks. Many of them were caught just dangling it off the side of the yak in shallow waters near shore. My dad caught the keeper reeling it in slowly with occasional twitches, in shallow water near shore.

lol about the spot...haha
                        Still trying... sigh.... I wanted to keep it to liveline, but as soon as i took hold of it, it slid out of my hand and into the water. doh!

how on earth is it possible to catch a spot on a 4" gulp swimming mullet
                        I dunno... beginner's luck I guess... the spot was not much bigger than the gulp.

that needleefish looks huge! Leaderboard material!
                        I didn't get a chance to measure it because it got off the lip grip while I was taking a photo of my dad with his catch. But it was around 24".

Nice red, how are you going to cook it?
                        My dad took it home to mom to impress her. I'm going there tonight, and I have an idea of what will be on the menu. She will probably broil it whole.

I hit the creek with my wife Sat midday
                        Nice! Looks from the pics like she had a good time.

That might be a houndfish. They are essentially oversized needlefish.
                        Looked at photos of houndfish, and yes, it may have been one. Not sure. Crazy looking fish.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                        X