Severn 10/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn 10/6

Headed out this morning around 7. Beautiful morning but pretty slow at the start. Found a WP, then a 14, 16, 16, and finally a 21.5. The last two fish fought like much bigger fish. Not sure what the deal is with that this season but it is a lot of fun! I ran into a couple other kayakers and a number of small boats.

The keeper was nice and fat and very clean except for one mark on his side. It was not red or swollen and almost looked like scar tissue from a run in with a treble hook or maybe a bluefish. Not sure what that was about. Anybody else see anything like that? The bad spot was on the other side.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dsiekman; 10-06-2012, 12:05 PM.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Nice report and fish.
    36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
    20ft C-hawk
    14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

Originally posted by fishon81 View Post
      Nice report and fish.
      alex, when did you get on snaggedline?

Comment

Thanks, guys. Southerly, the spot was on his side, about half way between his gill and the base of his tail. I looked at the DNR pics of microblahblahblah, and it doesn't look like that. I think they call it wasting disease? It really just sort of looked liked he lost a few scales, got a little torn up, and then started to heal. I think I have a partial pic on my phone and will try to get it zoomed, cropped, and uploaded.
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Did a little more looking and found some pics of a lamprey "bite". Looks very similar. That said, I would have guessed a fish that small was a resident. Don't most of them stick around the bay for a year or two before heading out to sea? Someone else mentioned the cargo ships discharging lampreys and other goodies in their bilge water. I suppose its possible.
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Congrats on the keeper striper. Sometimes stripers can recover from myco infections, especially if the infection is not severe. The wound heals over and looks kind of rough and the scales might be kind of grayish like salt and pepper.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
              alex, when did you get on snaggedline?
              Just recently. I fish my yak a lot and TF's yak forum does not have a lot of action.
              36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
              20ft C-hawk
              14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

Working...
              X