Kayak Fishing Weems Creek 10/06/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Fishing Weems Creek 10/06/2012

SurfDog (John) wanted to go fishing on Saturday morning, so we decided to meet up with Grady Black (Mike) and Medicyaker (Tom). Kitkatyaker (Kay) would also join us later that morning. We meet at the Wawa on Route 50 at 5:30am. Then we headed over to Anglers, to pickup last minute supplies and then headed over the Bay Bridge. Our intention was to launch out of Bennett Point Landing into the Wye River or Dominion Landing into Crab Alley. Put as luck would have it. A weather front was coming through today, and as always, would bring winds of 10 to 20 mph. Needless to say, it was too windy to fish our intended locations. To avoid the wind we ended up at Weems Creek, where we met Kitkatyaker. We also say another MKF yaker launching there too.

We launched and headed upstream. It was an incoming tide. The winds were almost non-existent. The temperature would reach 70 degrees or more during the day. It was a nice day despite the wind. We fished the shoreline for the most part. I quickly landed 2 small 12 inch rockfish. I then landed a nice 17 inch pickerel. John Veil would like to hear that. I then landed a few nice perch that I kept for Grady Black. Kay had a nice day too. She landed a nice 15.5 inch pickerel and a 17.5 inch puppy drum that was released. I saw SurfDog catch perch and Grady Black landed a nice 12 to 13 inch white perch that he added to his bucket of fish. I continued to catch perch and a few more smaller pickerels. By 11:00am we were off the water. Another good day of aquatic exercise.
    Attached Files

That sounds like a good day on the water despite the change in plans. Soooo close on that redfish, too. I'm looking forward to chasing some pickerel this winter.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Great work on the pickerel and the redfish. I'm sorry I missed you guys on my home turf. I had been gone all week and had some errands to take care of Sat morning. I arrived at the Weems Creek ramp at 12:30 to find the beach area completely filled with dinghys from sailboats in town for the boat show. Instead of launching from the sand as I usually do, I had to use the gravel area next to the ramp.

I struggled to get my first fish today, but hung in long enough to find at least 10 stripers to 15", a few white perch, and one pickerel that ran with my lure for 3 seconds, then broke the line. I think the line ran across its gill plate covers and broke the 8-lb mono. To rub in its escape, the pickerel gyrated at the surface for a few seconds doing what could have been interpreted as a touchdown celebration dance before swimming out of sight.

I saw David GQ coming into the ramp as I was launching. He has a nice looking Hobie Pro Angler. He had a friend from the UK sitting backwards on the rear of the Hobie. Both guys caught stripers today.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's a late start for you guys. Did someone oversleep

Comment

Nice pickerel.
          36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
          20ft C-hawk
          14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

I launched at tucker street today too around 230. I think I saw John across the creek, but wanted to get out to the main river to try crabbing in the gale force winds. Well it was very rough, but I managed 13 nice crabs and netted two soft crabs off pilings. In between checks of my crab traps I caught maybe a dozen or so perch up to 12" and a few small Stripers. I hooked two heavier fish in the creek, but both got away. One broke the line and another jumped off. I swear the fish that jumped off looked like a large mouth bass, but didnt really get a good look...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
            X