10/6/12 redfish, pickeral and perch on the yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/6/12 redfish, pickeral and perch on the yak

The plan was to go livelineling / jigging on the boat this morning but it was just to windy so later in the day i took the yak out and did some perch fishing. I caught 20-25 small perch and probably 6 perch over 10 inches . Also I caught this 18.5 inch red fish and he had the hook almost straightened out on my beetle spin . Later in the day i hooked about a 20 inch pickerel and it jumped once and he cut the line,he hit on a hand tied white and green 1/8th ounce bucktail that made. When i paddled back to where I launched there was a ton of 5 year olds running around and some parents to. i noticed they had 3 or 4 buckets/containers full of water and dead/barely alive fish. There was undersized croaker,undersized rockfish ,perch ,spot ,bluegill ,and minnows.. all dead or almost dead/upside down barley breathing, and each bucket had about 20 fish! this made me so angry so I walked up to the dad and said "you need to release those fish because they are dying" and he said "the kids enjoy watching them" and I said "they are suffocating, you need to release them". After 10 minutes of me unloading the yak ,the fish were still there I said the same thing to the dad and he said he would get to it in a minute. ( I knew he wouldn't) so I walked back down and dumped the fish out. I was NOT about to let that many fish die. Also the kids were running around later while i was unloading the yak and (my rod was leaning up against my bike) one of the kids came up and knocked it over, INTO THE SAND! So now my new shimano ultralight reel needs surgery. but overall it was a good first part of the trip with the red fish and big pickeral.
    Attached Files

I have not really fished for pickerel before except one time at some lake and no one around me caught a thing, but I caught one about 23". They are cool fish, nice catch.
    36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
    20ft C-hawk
    14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

when my dad gets a yak this winter we are going to try weems creek and jonas green and places where there are alot of pickeral. this was the first one i have ever heard of at the location that i fished today

Comment

Where were you? PM me if you want to keep it private.
        20ft C-hawk

Comment

what did the father do when you dumped their catch? did you mention the undersized/illegal part to the father? next time, just give the DNR poacher line a call, you dont want any altercation man.

1-800-635-6124
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
            what did the father do when you dumped their catch? did you mention the undersized/illegal part to the father? next time, just give the DNR poacher line a call, you dont want any altercation man.

1-800-635-6124
            Good point, then they definitely would have learned, with some hefty fines.
            20ft C-hawk

Comment

i didnt even care about an altercation,just the fish. but next time i will report it

Comment

I would have pulled out my cellphone and said "I'm giving you 2 minutes to dump those fish, otherwise Ranger Rick's gonna be on your ass!"
                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                Crappie: 12 inches
                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
                  i didnt even care about an altercation,just the fish. but next time i will report it
                  your heart is in the right place, but just call DNR, especially if your parents arent there with you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice puppy drum!
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                      your heart is in the right place, but just call DNR, especially if your parents arent there with you.
                      Despite his forum name, that is wise advice. You cannot expect others to stand and watch when you dump their buckets of fish. That could get you in some dangerous situations in the future. Keep your passion for conservation, but execute it in a more appropriate way.

Congrats on the keeper red, btw. And sorry about that reel.
                      Sun Fishin'

Comment

From DNR website
                        Catch a Poacher 24 Hour Hotline
                        1-800-635-6124

Citizens who supply Maryland Natural Resources Police with information leading to the arrest and conviction of a poaching violator are eligible to receive cash rewards. Give names, addresses, vehicle descriptions, and as much information as possible. The anonymity of the caller is guaranteed.
                        Add this number to your cell phone contact list!

1-800-635-6124

"so I walked back down and dumped the fish out. I was NOT about to let that many fish die."
                        teaching time- you should have gathered the kids and Reasoned with them why they shouldn't keep undersized or any fish that is not destined for the table. the kids probably would've done the dumping had you taken the time to educate them.

pass your passion along by paying it forward

Comment

i told them they were dying and they walked away and the grandma just said well at least they caught fish.

Comment

Some people are just unbelievable.
                            20ft C-hawk

Comment

Nice fishing Andrew. That is probably a good suggestion about calling DNR. That will impress the importance of conservation upon the father.

Comment

Working...
                              X