Jonas Green 10/8 and fish ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green 10/8 and fish ID

Fished out of the Jonas Green this morning and it was pretty slow. I caught about a dozen Perch and a few small Stripers and brought home the 6 biggest Perch that were about 9-10". I also caught something that looked like a White Perch but slightly different. I've heard of people calling them sand perch. Here are a couple of pictures. This is the first one that I've caught, what do you think?

Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Silver perch? That one has a spot looking head
    sigpic

Comment

Definitely silver perch, Bairdiella chrysoura. It's actually a type of drum.

They usually show up in September and hang out for a couple months before it gets cold.
      Last edited by ictalurus; 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I have caught a few this year, there are a lot of them in OC.
        36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
        20ft C-hawk
        14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

in nc they call them sugar trout. some call them surf perch. that is the first one i have heard of this far north

Comment

thanks for all the info
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Check out this website from VIMS http://www.vims.edu/research/departm...erch/index.php
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I fished in the upper half of the Severn today from my center console. The shoreline casting was very slow (1 perch and a few small stripers). I did find a surprise 12" flounder in the Round Bay vicinity and I snagged a carp farther upstream. I also snagged a seagull to make three first-time species for me in Severn waters.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report. I wish I had taken off today to fish...

Looks like you were on your tarpon today. How is it so far? I have one on order to use on the lakes and creeks around my new area. I hope to use it when I invite friends to fish small rivers and creeks.
                  Sun Fishin'

Comment

that looks like a cross bread with a red or croaker with a perch.. interesting looking fish
                    Zach Moore
                    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Thanks for the link John, sounds like you had an interesting morning.

I like the Tarpon, but I really miss my pedals when I take it out...

Yea, looks like a spot/white perch cross. It always cool to catch something new even if its small.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X