Janes Island OCT 7-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janes Island OCT 7-8

Fished Janes Island Sunday night and from 0630-1730 on Monday. The weather was snotty and cool with 10-15 mph winds out of the north and periods of rain. I went hoping for some better trout with all the reports recently but came up kinda short. Fished north of the island Sunday night, and north, south and west of the launch on Monday. Ended up with 1 spec, some spot, lots of puppy drum and small stripers each day and managed to catch 2 big crabs on Monday on hook and line. Most fish came from underwater points or cuts with the wind and current blowing up on them and were caught either trolling XR-6 xraps or fishing soft plastics on a jig head fished in 3-5 fow. Most of the puppy drum actually came while trolling the xraps which suprised me. Also managed to troll up a crab, first time for that lol! Best fish were a 23 inch rock, 17 inch puppy and a 18 inch trout that released himself before I could snap a photo.

first fish of the trip

even got a spot trolling

Chimo

nice report and pics!
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice report. You trolled and caught a crab and a spot in the mouth, now that's impressive!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good looking fish Wayne. I'm so jealous about the spot.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
          Good looking fish Wayne. I'm so jealous about the spot.
          Lol! I take it you still haven't caught one? They like me so much I am trolling them up on xraps and catching them on 4inch gulp swimming mullets

Comment

The spot on the X-Rap is hilarious. I've caught several crabs this year on lures. Sometime they hit hard, which makes it even funnier. I've caught them in the past on Gulp, but that almost doesn't count since it smells so strong. Sorry the big trout got a way, but that striper looks pretty and fat.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I have never had a crab hit a trolled lure. That is amazing. Nice catch.

Comment

Nice report. I noticed your were fishing in bare feet. Yesterday the water temp in the Severn was 68-69 deg. The air temp was much cooler. It won't be long before bare feet are a fond memory until next summer.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome report and pictures. Spot on a lure? Cool! And that is one dark crab. I remember seeing some monster crabs scuttling around the shallows and submerged muddy banks when we were down there a couple of weeks ago.

I caught a crab on gulp at Janes Island and he ended up in my lap. It must have been a sight seeing me dance and wiggle in my seat.

Thanks for the great report.

Comment

Nice wayne!! how big was that spot?

Comment

Spot love Beatle spins I catch them regularly on Beatle spin type lures. Croakers love them too

Comment

I also like to put a piece of crab on a beetle spin and bounce it on the bottom for reds.
                        36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
                        20ft C-hawk
                        14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

nice wayne! i was wondering how you fared in that cool windy weather

Comment

I wish I had the time to get down to Janes Island and camp for a couple days before colder weather settles in. I"d love to get lost in those 2,900+ acres of salt marshes, put out a crab trap or two during the day while I am out fishing, and then steaming up a few around a campfire. A fresh blackend red fish wouldn't be half bad either.

Janes Island's prime for a camping/fishing/wildlife photo taking yak trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post

Janes Island's prime for a camping/fishing/wildlife photo taking yak trip.
                              It is that! Only issue I have is the bugs down there in the summer! Those skeeters and green flies can be brutal! Lots of water / shoreline to cover and a nice mix of fish right now along with the crabs

Comment

Working...
                              X