Jug Bay report 10/11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jug Bay report 10/11/12

Had to go to court today in Upper Marlboro for a speeding ticket and decided to take off the rest of the day and do a little fishing on Jug Bay. I got there around 11:30 w/ a good incoming tide. It was a bit windy but not too bad in the narrow sections of the river. Never been there before but the place has a great kayak floating launch ramp.

I picked up two cats on bottom rigs using fish bites. They were decent size. I also managed 1/2 a dozen tiny stripers throwing a little minnow fly. Biggest one was around 10" (didn't get a photo). They were feeding on the surface. Also caught a lonely spot. It was really good fishing for an hour and then it dried up. Paddled back and spoke to a guy on the pier. He had 8-10 cats in the cooler. 2 of them were decent sizes and the others were small. He caught them on raw shrimp. Overall a good trip!

Attached Files
    Last edited by quikdrive; 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM.
    -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Nice report, is there something wrong with the spot or is it just the picture?
    36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
    20ft C-hawk
    14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

Its lower jaw did seem funky. Not sure what was up with it.
      -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Thanks for the report. I usually only fish up there in the winter and early spring, so it's nice to know what's going on there during other times of the year.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

That is a sweet kayak launch!
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

That is one of the cleanest channel cats that I've seen. Next time cut that spot up and you'll get some bigger cats if they're around!

Ditto on the launch, never seen anything like that, looks nice.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Like a luge launch lol. I wish I could use that
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks for the advice shadyfisher85. I haven't had that much catfish experience so I am still trying things out. I think I will try cut bait next time.

I was surprised actually how well the kayak launched worked. The floating platform was very stable while standing on it and I just loaded everything from there. You could sit on it and push yourself into the water. The rollers work well even with my +220lb self. On the way back I was even able to pull myself up onto the "luge". It took a few attempts because the bow on my kayak doesn't have much of a slope and is more or less vertifcal so it wouldn't ride up onto the first roller. While sitting on the yak I had to push the ramp into the water and then could get the bow to ride up onto the first roller. It was defintely nice to have, I am always leary about trying to get into my kayak from a dock.
                -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

They do a lot of group nature paddle trips there during the summer. They rent kayaks & canoes there as well. I bet that launch device saves a bunch of people with less experience from dumping. They should build one from an elevated platform. Wheeeeeee!
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Up river from Jug Bay there is a floating dock for launching canoes and kayaks, but the last time I was up there the river was full of downed trees.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      Like a luge launch lol. I wish I could use that
                      Add a fire hose and you've got a homemade log ride!
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                      X