Wye River 10/13/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wye River 10/13/2012

On Saturday morning I fished the Wye River with Moc, Sufdog, and Shield. It had been a long time since I kayak fished these guys so I was happy to get a chance to get out on the water with them. We headed toward the mouth and found small rock in several places. Many times my fish finder screen would show clouds of bait with some larger arcs below. We caught a few larger stripers from some of these pods but it was a challenge getting through the smaller fish. I caught one about 20.5 and then lost the school. After that we headed down river to see if we could find some breaking fish. We saw several pods of small birds and figured there would be small fish below with a possibily of larger fish on the bottom. As we weighed our options for chasing the pods and dealing with boats we had the pleasure of watching a fishing boat coming from further south alter their course to drive straight through the pod of working birds. Boats. I just don't get it sometimes.

We watched a bit longer and decided to head toward the edge of the flat to see if any larger fish were hanging out. It paid off and Moc and I found a few larger fish. I had a few break the 14" mark (that was a big deal!) and i found a second over that went 19". I let this one go because I was hoping for a bigger one but it was not to be. After the school went through we marked small dots on the bottom that turned out to be white perch which was cool to catch them in deep water. After that I headed up river to meet some new kayakers. I've had many folks over the years take me out and so I was happy to take some new guys out!

I met AbuMasgouf and his friend after he just picked up his new Revo from Easton. After some complications that were my fault we got out on the water. We paddled around the island near the launch and found a few small rockfish, white perch, and even a small flounder. One of the perch was just over 13" making it my first White Perch citation. Pretty cool! plus it wa great seeing both the guys catch their first rockfish from the kayak. Hopefully next time I will be able to find them some larger rock.

We fished a bit more and caught some more small fish and then decided we had enough around sunset. Sunrise to sunset was a long day on the water!

Here's a few shots

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Nice trip. That is a stud perch and pretty little flounder. Flounder love pink! Was that a dropper fly above a jig that the flounder hit on?

Comment

nice job fellas!
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

All the fish looked nice, but that perch was beautiful. It was picture perfect. Looked like a great day.

Comment

I just want to send a big thank you to Redfish12!! He went above and beyond to teach us all the steps and answer all our questions! He even brought his second Revo for my friend. Super generous guy!!

Needless to say he's gotten me addicted and I look forward to more adventures! That last picture, although blurry, is going to be in my memory for life!

Thank you again bro!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Good stuff! I wish I could have gotten out there with you guys... That Perch is a mammoth!!

Comment

great day!
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Now that's what it is all about! Way to get on the fish and enjoy the day.
                Cliff Williams
                Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Thanks for the report. You guys did well. The Wye is an extremely scenic river that offers lots of places to hide from the wind. I fished it last fall and enjoyed the trip. Congratulations on catching your citation perch (who knows what might come from a citation fish )
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Excellent report! Thanks for sharing!
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Sounds like a nice day on the water.
                      36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
                      20ft C-hawk
                      14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                        I just want to send a big thank you to Redfish12!! He went above and beyond to teach us all the steps and answer all our questions! He even brought his second Revo for my friend. Super generous guy!!

Needless to say he's gotten me addicted and I look forward to more adventures! That last picture, although blurry, is going to be in my memory for life!

Thank you again bro!
                        Mustafa,
                        I am glad that you went out with Michael. I can't fish right now but in a month I will join you guys.

Joe
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          Mustafa,
                          I am glad that you went out with Michael. I can't fish right now but in a month I will join you guys.

Joe
                          I look forward to it Joe!
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice report and guide service! I'd take a 13" perch over a 24" Striper anyday. I've caught many nice white perch in my kayak fishing career but only one 13".
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I love reading this report and seeing the photos. I picked a book up in the library "Sea Kayaking the Chesapeake' which was published in 2003. The Wye River is on their short list of tours.

Wye Island was a small town during the colonial era, and had it's own stores, farms, livery, etc. The last large parcel was sold off in the 70's, and the island was going to be developed. There was such an uproar, that the large mixed use development project was nixed, and the state bought the land in the late 70's. It's now managed as a State Wildlife Management Area. There's group camping, hiking, and obviously fishing, but apparently still no put-in area to launch from on Wye Island itself due to "environmental impact" concerns.

Comment

Working...
                              X