Continuing quest of all Flats Knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing quest of all Flats Knowledge

As some of you know, the Susky Flats is my favorite spot to fish. It's pretty close to me and there are many species during the course of the year that you can target. I've had my kayak for 3-4 years now but this is the first year for me to try the Flats in the fall. I want to learn if there are any rockfish hanging around below the river and what size range.

I've fished the past 3 weekends in a row to try and get a good set of data points. The weather has been beautiful, although this past weekend required a little more cooler weather gear. The wind always seemed to be whipping up, causing the Outback to take in a little water through the hatch.

What I've found is that there are plenty of sub legal rockfish on the Flats. I did manage a pair of keepers on 2 of the 3 trips. The first trip at the end of September yielded a single keeper. I easily caught 20-40 fish each trip. The second trip yielded probably around 5 keeper sized fish....most seemed to be 12-17"

My style for catching rockfish is almost always trolling this is true for spring or fall. I invested in a nice down imaging FF which has had a nice impact. I view the whole kayak set up as my fishing rod. I believe that keeping the lure in the water longer and at its designed depth will catch you more fish. I've trolled over 40 miles in my last 3 trips which can be difficult at times on the flats because of the shallow depths at times as well as the weed beds and floating debris. Over all this distance I've learned for certain that if you don't pay attention to the direction of water flow, you will not catch fish. You MUST be going with the current or across it. I think of the approximate 100 fish I've caught over the last 3 trips, 2-3 may have come against the current. Certainly, if I'm trolling I'll spend equal time against the current as with it to make another pass, so it's clear that the odds are WAY better.

I hate boaters on the Flats...just had to throw it out there. There are a PIA in every season I've been up there. I had found a productive section that I kept trolling around and another boat decided to make a few passes after seeing me catch a few...nothing like a loud motor scaring fish in shallow water. He then stopped to jig my spot (not like I own the bay, but c'mon, the Flats are huge and there's only a handful of us out there) He asked if there were any good fish, I lied and said they were all tiny, but then my rod went off and a keeper rock made a liar out of me I caught 3 more right in front of him in about 2 minutes, to his goose egg. He left empty handed and I got my peace and quiet back again.

Back to the report. The water temp at the end of Sept was low 70's, Oct 6th was upper 60's and Oct 13th was lower 60's. For whatever reason I have found that the time with most activity was when the sun was nice and bright, like noon through 2PM. After that I don't know because I left them biting to get home. In fact, I was late a few times for things because the action had heated up so much. This was true of each of the 3 weekends. It also helps when the current is moving well in a well defined direction.

As always, focus on the weedbeds, any kind of structure and changes in depth. In any of these areas you should find fish. Over the years I've worked to find productive areas and they seem to be consistent through spring and fall. I keep trying to find new spots. The Flats are huge and the kayak can only cover so much ground. I have covered much of it, but the eastern side I do not know much about. It's further for me to travel so I just don't bother although it sounds like fish are over there too.

The wife is starting to get mad at me for fishing every weekend so I may lose some data points from here on out, also the weather may not permit at times. I am really anxious to find out if the bigger fish ever get back up there in later November/December. I think that some of the migratory stripers may take the delaware canal which may put them in the Flats, but I have never seen a report to substantiate this....so I have to research myself to find out. Of course, not catching fish proves nothing, only catching one proves they can be there.

I'll keep you guys posted on things that I learn.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
    I hate boaters on the Flats...just had to throw it out there. There are a PIA in every season I've been up there. I had found a productive section that I kept trolling around and another boat decided to make a few passes after seeing me catch a few...nothing like a loud motor scaring fish in shallow water. He then stopped to jig my spot (not like I own the bay, but c'mon, the Flats are huge and there's only a handful of us out there) He asked if there were any good fish, I lied and said they were all tiny, but then my rod went off and a keeper rock made a liar out of me I caught 3 more right in front of him in about 2 minutes, to his goose egg. He left empty handed and I got my peace and quiet back again.
    Oh sweet victory! They have no shame out there and get right up on you. Its great to know that there are still keepers hanging around. I can't wait for the big boys to show back up in the Spring!
    Cliff Williams
    Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Way to go!!! Never hear much about striper action on the Flats during the fall. How helpful was your FF at showing fish? Were the fish schooled up to any degree or spread out all around? Generally, 50F degree water temps seems to be the magic signal for stripers to start moving out of the shallows everywhere and into to deeper water for the winter months. Dunno if that applies to the Flats or not. I'll probably never get there before winter sets in... I'm still engaged in a "fishing affair" with the the Susky's smallmouth just upriver from Harrisburg.

BTW, I guess you have read all the Flats reports for this past April and early May C&R season.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        Way to go!!! Never hear much about striper action on the Flats during the fall. How helpful was your FF at showing fish? Were the fish schooled up to any degree or spread out all around? Generally, 50F degree water temps seems to be the magic signal for stripers to start moving out of the shallows everywhere and into to deeper water for the winter months. Dunno if that applies to the Flats or not. I'll probably never get there before winter sets in... I'm still engaged in a "fishing affair" with the the Susky's smallmouth just upriver from Harrisburg.

BTW, I guess you have read all the Flats reports for this past April and early May C&R season.
        I spent quite a bit of time out there this spring. It was a great season. I went out with Capt Brady and he opened my eyes quite a bit as to lure selection and what to look for. I had my best season up there ever afterwards. I literally spent sun up to sunset many times during the spring to cover as much water as possible and learn the topography as best as I could. I covered between 200-300 miles this spring according to my FF. The FF really helps because it seems to me that much of the Flats is void of stripers, but there are areas where your odds increase. It is here where I look for blips on the FF and I just have to trust it. I then put a way point every time I catch a fish. Over time this has lead to some convincing patterns which is where the FF really helps. I use the GPS and maps more than I would have imagined.

You're right about the 50 degree mark, although I'd err a little lower, like 45 until they really stop. I find mid 50's is prime temp for them. Because of this, the Flats should cool quicker in the fall and draw more fish. In the spring, it warms up faster. I figured I'd try it out and sure enough, I found some fish. I'd just like to find some bigger ones yet. The fish are definitely schooled up, so finding one means there are others. Finding the first one is the tough part.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I will be eagerly watching this thread! I live close to the flats and plan to do most of my fishing there. I just my kayak this summer but the past two months have been rediculous so I havn't got out much. I'm hoping to get out a few times before the water cools down too much and can't wait to use the yak next spring. I'd be up for meeting up sometime too if you're interested.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
            I will be eagerly watching this thread! I live close to the flats and plan to do most of my fishing there. I just my kayak this summer but the past two months have been rediculous so I havn't got out much. I'm hoping to get out a few times before the water cools down too much and can't wait to use the yak next spring. I'd be up for meeting up sometime too if you're interested.
            Dont forget the perch run on the flats in Jan and Feb. It's just enough to get through the winter.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

those glitterboat (bass boat) guys FLY across the flats, hell, some wear motorcycle helmets!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                Dont forget the perch run on the flats in Jan and Feb. It's just enough to get through the winter.
                Yep planning on giving that a go too! Where do you usually launch from when you fish the flats? I like perryville park but the hours aren't great.

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                  Yep planning on giving that a go too! Where do you usually launch from when you fish the flats? I like perryville park but the hours aren't great.
                  Yeah, Perryville Comm Park is ideally located but the hours are not the best. City Yacht Basin in Havre deGrace is probably the best launch. But coming from North East, MD you will have to pay the bridge toll... that's a bummer too.
                  Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Yeah, Perryville Comm Park is ideally located but the hours are not the best. City Yacht Basin in Havre deGrace is probably the best launch. But coming from North East, MD you will have to pay the bridge toll... that's a bummer too.
                    No biggie on the bridge. I drive over it every day for work. Gotta love EZpass and the Hatem Bridge plan ($20/year). I've never lauched from City Yacht Basin but I have launched from Jean Roberts Memorial Park in HdG. It seems to be less crowed there (at least when I've used it).

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                      those glitterboat (bass boat) guys FLY across the flats, hell, some wear motorcycle helmets!
                      Yeah, they are always throwing big wakes and important to watch out for. When the flats are on, it can be some of the most crowded fishing I have ever experienced.
                      Cliff Williams
                      Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I think you have to have a permit for the Park to launch. Those guys patrol and tow big time so watch out.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          I think you have to have a permit for the Park to launch. Those guys patrol and tow big time so watch out.
                          There is a boat ramp in town that requires a permit but there is a kayak launch area in perryville park that is free to use. The down side is the park is only open from 7:30 to sunset.

Comment

Here's a map of the boat ramp and kayak launch site for reference.

Attached Files

Comment

You even have to watch the bass boats on the flats around Tydings Park. Saturday I almost got hit by one at idle speed through the marina, and lost count of the times I got cut in front of when casting in the shallows.

I was working my way out to the flats anyways, I think there were 5 other boats out, all fishing near the NOAA buoy. I got one small bite and only marked some small fish deeper down.
                              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
                              X