10-21 and 10-22 fishing mix. Upper Gunpowder and Middle river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-21 and 10-22 fishing mix. Upper Gunpowder and Middle river

Went out Sunday with a friend and paddled the Upper Gunpowder from Paper Mill bridge to Phoenix rd bridge. Was more of a fun paddle rater than a serious fishing trip, but we did manage to fish along the way without much success. Weather was beautiful, and the trees were starting to show their colors. We caught a bunch of small fallfish, but that was about it. Usually I find some bass here, but this trip we had no luck.

Today I happened to get off work a little early, so I figured I'd sneak out solo for an hour or two before sunset to see what was biting in my local waters. Came across a nice school of stripers. I was only out for an hour and a half, but had a blast. Wound up keeping a 20" and a 26".

Paper mill bridges

Blocked passage

had to go over NCR trail to continue since all tubes were blocked

Phoenix rd bridge

largest fallfish of the day, not much to brag about.

Mondays catch

Cheesy grin! I was happy
    2012 FeelFree Moken Angler 12
    http://www.youtube.com/80grady

nice pics. very scenic up that way!
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice rig...I have a Moken Angler as well. Good job on the stripers!
      -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Awesome Pics!! Is the launch right at the bridge Paper Mill bridge? What fish frequent those waters? (stripers, trout, smallmouth)

Comment

Thanks for the photos - they look like a tourist brochure. That 26" rockfish must have been fun to catch.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            Awesome Pics!! Is the launch right at the bridge Paper Mill bridge? What fish frequent those waters? (stripers, trout, smallmouth)
            There really is no good put in at Paper Mill bridge. The surrounding hills are steep and no clear trails to the water. However, on the east side of the bridge there is a little feeder stream that leads to the Gunpowder, and a little pull off area to park. The feeder stream is only passable after a rain when the water level rises a little. This was something I found out a few weeks back with my 2 year old daughter. If the water level is a little low you wind up in a mud flat before you reach the gunpowder. The upper gunpowder is loaded with trout. and I usually do good bass fishing there.

Comment

Great pictures! I've spent a lot of time in that area of the gunpowder, mostly fishing from the bank with several memorable fish. In the spring that area of your photo above is usually a pretty well filled pond and the carp come in there to spawn and splash around. My first outing on my first kayak I carried the kayak down the steps to the water at the parking area just before the phooenix road bridge it was not easy and I wouldnt do it again. I've always thought about pulling my kayak down the hiker biker trail on a cart, but have never done it.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Really nice Pics! Awesome that you took your daughter out with you fishing! I love taking my boys fishing!

Is the trout at the upper gunpowder catch and release?
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                  Is the trout at the upper gunpowder catch and release?
                  I don't trout fish, so I'm not sure on the regulations on where or when, but I know that there is a time when you can take from the gunpowder, at least in certain sections. I usually see quite a few people trout fishing when I'm paddling the section between York and Monkton roads

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    Thanks for the photos - they look like a tourist brochure. That 26" rockfish must have been fun to catch.
                    I agree and I bet the 20 and 26 inchers were a blast to catch. Where did you launch from?

Comment

I launched from Rockey Point Park for the rockfish. Tried again yesterday for a little while after work at the same location, but only managed one white perch and another rock in the in the 21"-24" range that got off next to the boat while trying to land it.

Comment

Working...
                      X