Two new guys enter the pickerel catchers fraternity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new guys enter the pickerel catchers fraternity

A few days ago, Scott, a friend from the Severn River Rod and Keg Club, asked me if I wanted to join him on his boat for some Severn fishing. After reviewing the weather and wind forecast for Sat, we decided that it was not a great day for launching his boat. I made him a counter offer -- we could fish in sheltered waters using my two kayaks. Scott had kayak fished in Florida before but not since he moved to Maryland.

We met this morning at 9:00 am the Tucker St. ramp to brisk winds. After getting things set up, we paddled to some shorelines that had held fish before the storm. The first hour was woefully slow. We kept casting and had no hits. Finally at my 6th stop, I felt some head shaking and pulled in a frisky pickerel. I continued to get a few more pickerel throughout the morning -- several were quite acrobatic, leaping in the air and shaking. Meanwhile, Scott had some definite bites and even a bitten off lure. But he still could not reel in that first elusive pickerel. About two hours into the trip, he felt a bite, set the hook, and reeled in his first chain pickerel. Although it was cool and windy, his enthusiasm suddenly climbed.

We finished up after 3.5 hours of fishing in less-than-ideal conditions. Scott caught 2 pickerel and had several others near misses. I caught 7 pickerel and had at least 5 fish follow my lure to the boat then veer off at the last moment. We ran into moc (Martin) and AbuMasgouf (Mustafa) at the ramp. Martin continued his hot fishing hand. He can add details himself. Mustafa also did well, catching his first ever pickerel today too. Congratulations to both Scott and Mustafa for joining the pickerel catchers fraternity.

None of the pickerel that Scott or I caught today were huge, but seeing that many pickerel in Weems is an excellent sign. Last year was so-so in Weems. During the previous three winters, I caught no pickerel in Weems. To see the rebound from no pickerel to many pickerel is quite rewarding. I suspect that many of the other Severn creeks will also hold pickerel this year.

I want to add a reminder that the Severn River Rod and Keg Club four-month-long winter pickerel tournament kicks off on Nov 15. If you want to enter, you need to do so before that day. I am the tournament coordinator. The registration fee is $10 -- that includes a lifetime SRRKC membership. The tournament details were posted here a few weeks ago http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...rel-tournament.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

The weather forecast was not favorable for open water kayak fishing today, so I decided to seek out more protected waters. The winds were blowing 11 to 17 mph with possible gusts up to 25 mph. I decided to fish Weems Creek in Annapolis, MD. High tide was at 8:31am, Low tide would be at 2:02pm. Mustafa (AbuMasgouf) wanted to get out and get some pullage, so he met me at the Tucker Street ramp at 7:00am. The temperature was 45 degrees in the morning, and only rising to 50 degrees by the time that we left after mid day. I launched first and fished the cove to the right of the ramp and hooked up with a small 10 inch rockfish. Once Mustafa launched we began to make our way up the creek. We saw John Veil and his friend Scott launching at the ramp. Mustafa was using his new Hobie Revo today. Unfortunately, he accidentally left his Mirage Drive at home, so he had to use paddle power to get around. He hung in there during the morning of fishing hooking up with three pickerels! His first pickerek ever. Fishing was good for me, yet surprising this morning. Besides the small rock fish, I caught 8 yellow perch, one of which almost topped out at 11 inches. I was shocked to catch yellow perch today. I also caught six pickerels. The three largest measured 19 inches (two), and one at 19.75 inches. It was good to get out this morning for a little exercise and it was a pleasure to fish with Mustafa. I am sure we will be fishing again in the future.
    The hot lure for me was a red 1/8th ounce round jig head tipped with a 1 inch chartreuse grub curly tail or a 1 inch white Gulp curly tail grub. I was using a 10 pound test mono leader attached to 15 pound braid
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for kind mention John and Martin. It was a pleasure meeting you both!

Man when I first felt the hit off the Pickerel, I thought "What the heck just hit that hard?" Then I fought it to the boat pulled it up and I had no idea what it was!! Not only was it the first time I caught one, it was the first time I ever saw one!! I had to call Moc to identify it for me LOL.

A massive thank you to Moc for taking me out to this spot! Now every time I catch a Pickerel I'll remember you bro!

It was great day!

Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM.
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That is a toothy pickerel. I am glad you had a good time and avoided the skunk.

Comment

Nice catches guys. I love pickerel, they're like pint sized Muskies and far more plentiful.
          Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
          Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
          Northern Pike: 24 inches
          Crappie: 12 inches
          Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

way to go guys... awesome pics Martin.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket