Givin' Daddy a break at Piney point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Givin' Daddy a break at Piney point

I was happy when Icatalrus Bill sent me a text asking if I was up for a Sunday afternoon fishing trip. His first kayak fishing excursion since the birth of his first child! Way to go Bill!
    We settled on a Piney Point trip looking for Rockfish and trout. Believing that the weather report could be trusted and light winds from the NNW would gently sweep us through the trout spot I call the "chimney", we anticipated a peaceful excursion......but of course, when Bill and I fish together, winds always sprout up from out of nowhere. When I arrived, Bill said, "Sure u want to fish in this wind?" Of course the answer was "Yes". It ended up being about 15 MPH straight out of the west...making the fishing a bit tough.
    Never the less, Bill did catch some nice fish right off including a real nice 21" Rock fish. at times I could see the fish feeding on the surface, but just could not connect. Bill and I were using the same color of x-rap, but he was using a size up, guess that 7/8 of an inch made all the difference! I had a harder time of it, but did end up catching some just under-sized rocks and losing a nice trout when a gust if wind pushed me around so fast I could not keep the line tight.
    We eventually tried some top water without any success and did catch a few little rocks in the dark just under the bridge. Bill marked a lot of fish in that location .....though it was hard to determine any size. It was a fish every cast on gulp but the largest I landed was 16.
    Great company, great scenery, a really great sunset, and a few fish. Overall....very nice.
    Only pic of mine that turned out.....
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

glad you got to fish some this weekend. and congrats to Bill!
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

Good Job Guys... so the trout is still around or on their way out?

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
        Good Job Guys... so the trout is still around or on their way out?
        i'm no expert, but i'd say we are in the final days of trout.
        maybe Joe knows the latest he has ever caught trout at SJC
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for the report Kevin. I'm glad to hear that Bill is still able to fish occasionally after becoming a father.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X