Patapsco Report 11-10-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco Report 11-10-12

Got out around 7 AM and fished until about 2 PM. Thanks to the new summit expedition seat, I'm actually not limping around which is a huge plus. My foot did fall asleep just a little, but not like it did in the hobie seat and it's more comfortable so I'm calling this a success.

I fished top water around the edges in the early morning during a slack tide and the top water bite was pretty hot. I had a fish miss my smack it lure 4 times before he actually got it. It was like a rampage at times and really exciting. I'd passed up a few barely keeper fish, confident I would catch some in the 20's. The tide started coming in around 11 and I didn't have any nice fish in the boat so I started second guessing my decision. I headed for deep water, going parallel to the current over the channel edges using my homemade mini umbrella rigs which I've posted on a few times in the past. It was slower than usual for awhile. I could see lots of fish, but I saw a dead shad which made me think that's what I was seeing. Either way, I kept trolling, putting in over 12 miles today. Suddenly my rod started ripping line and to be honest I thought I was snagged at first because of the amount of line coming off, but I grabbed it and realized I had something good, much bigger than anything I had yet. As I fought it, I was nervous. I needed to see this thing. Finally I got it up and I knew it was hooked good because it had completely engulfed the lure. I finished off the day with another keeper completing my limit.

On a downside, I must have knocked my PFD off the back of my yak after I put the fish in the soft cooler because when I reached for it a few minutes later, it was gone. I searched for an hour and couldn't find it. I was drifting at over a half mph so it could have gotten away quickly. I feel like I found every other floating thing in the Patapsco except my PFD, major bummer.
    Attached Files

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Very nice striper! Were you fishing the channel edges? Was that HH or Fort Armistead? Haven't had my yak on the water since first week of October! Need my November fish it been chasing deer around!
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Nice!!!
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

channel edges at HH

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Nice fish!

Too bad about your PFD. I hate losing stuff. Today my anchor got snagged and I couldn't get it free so I had to cut it loose. Another offering to the fish gods.
          <MIKE>
          Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
          Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Sucks about the PFD... but at least you got a nice keeper to show for it!! LOL

Comment

Excellent fish. I'm glad the new seat helped your comfort. It is much more enjoyable sitting in the kayak when you don't have to shift position frequently to find a way to sit without discomfort.

Sorry about the PFD -- however, they are less likely to get lost when you are wearing them/ Seriously, yesterday I measured water temp in the Severn at just below 50 deg. From here until late spring, we will be pursuing our sport in cool to cold water. It is not a good idea to take extra chances in cold water. Protective clothing and flotation devices become increasingly important.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Excellent fish. I'm glad the new seat helped your comfort. It is much more enjoyable sitting in the kayak when you don't have to shift position frequently to find a way to sit without discomfort.

Sorry about the PFD -- however, they are less likely to get lost when you are wearing them/ Seriously, yesterday I measured water temp in the Severn at just below 50 deg. From here until late spring, we will be pursuing our sport in cool to cold water. It is not a good idea to take extra chances in cold water. Protective clothing and flotation devices become increasingly important.
                Yeah John, you're right. I always have it readily accessible behind my seat but as the water gets colder it'd be better to actually be wearing it. The even worse part is that I attach my safety equipment to it, my whistle and a light, so I felt exposed without those things...even though I probably wouldn't need them, I didn't like being without them.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Thanks for the report, nice looking fish. I've been wanting to fish the HH area but a persistent cold has been keeping me at home. Every time it's almost gone I do something stupid outside and it comes back to life. So I'm forcing myself to sit out this beautiful weekend hoping the cold will be totally gone. It's 90% gone as of now. So there is hope I can get out before full-bore winter sets in.

The fall bite in the HH area can go on into December some years. When the water drops into the mid/low 40Fs then the WWDs start kicking in.
                  Last edited by HJS; 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM.
                  Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice looking fish Good work!
                    Bummer about your vest, I do stuff mine back there to when its warm out. Here in PA the State just started a manditory wearing of PFD's during cold water periods from Nov 1- May 1.
                    2012 hobie revo, turbo fins sail rudder

Comment

one fine looking fish!

Comment

Congratulations- I have an inflatable Hobie PFD and wear it at all times even in the hot summer- it is comfortable and small making wearing it second nature-
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice Striper! How big did it measure out at?
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                            Nice Striper! How big did it measure out at?
                            It was just under 30. It dwarfed the 18 that I got a little later. That's the biggest I've gotten out of the Patapsco.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Launched at around 1 PM Sunday with hopes of hooking up w/ some stripes or maybe a runaway life jacket.
                              Found neither.
                              but did manage to find the channel .
                              One of the power boaters was more than happy to show off a md 20's he'd caught and I watched another group of fathers and sons hook up several times.
                              a fantastic day to be on the water

Comment

Working...
                              X