Hooper Island Bridge 11/10/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooper Island Bridge 11/10/2012

The weather was turning out great for the weekend with Saturday sunny with temperatures reaching 60 degrees with light winds 5 to 8 mph. I have been wanting to try the Hooper Island Bridge on the Honga River for a long time by kayak. I have heard good reports about it two weeks ago. Every time that I thought of trying to head out there in the past, the weather did not cooperate, especially the winds.

Mustafa and I had planned to go on Saturday. As the weekend approached, more yakers joined us. The high tide was predicted to be around 10:30am. By Saturday morning we all met at the Wawa on Route 50 west of Anglers, we had 5 yakers. Myself, Mustafa, Tom (Medicyaker), Nathan (Echo), and Harry V. The drive to the Honga was fairly easy from the Bay Bridge, about 90 min's. We made it to the Hooper Island Bridge by 7:15am. We pulled off on a small gravel parking lot on the left of the road and launched form its sandy beach on the Honga River side. It was only a three minute paddle to the Bridge. I started fishing a 1/4 ounce red jig head with a silver BKD with sparkles in it. I immediately caught two 19 inch rockfish, by the time that everyone launched and caught up to me. I gave Mustafa one of my 19 inch fish, expecting to get more in short order. The morning looked promising, the water was extremely clear, but then the bite stopped. We fished the whole morning with no one hooking up with a fish. Three of us even went over to fish the southern grassy shorelines near a duck blind hoping for some shallow water action, or even perch, but we did not get even a bite. Tom left early since his back was hurting him and Harry V left by noon because he had some things to take care of. Me, Mustafa and Nathan went back to the bridge to try once more to catch some rockfish with the start of the outgoing tide. Just before giving up I has able to land my third fish, an 18 and a 1/4 inch rockfish. Shortly after, Nathan hooked up with what looked like a 16 inch rockfish. His first of the day. He tried to measure it, but it jumped off of his ruler and back in to the water. What a bummer, but I had gotten the photographic evidence before he lost the fish. Well, it was later than we thought, so we all headed back to the launch since the bite was slow to non-existent. We did not feel too bad since some power boaters came over to fish the bridge, but we did not even see them pull up a single fish. Also, from other reports around the area, we heard that the bite seemed slow. I am not sure if Hurricane Sandy the previous week might have affected the fishing.

For me the fishfinder was very key to locating fish. When I saw a big pod of fish, then I dropped my line down to bottom and began to jig.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by moc; 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM.

Hey moc,
    Great report. Glad you were able to hook into some good sized fish. Sounds like the trip was well worth it even if Sandy did cause some havoc.
    Tight lines buddy!
    2015 Outback
    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

It was a good day... well aside from getting skunked... but hey I met some great guys and I look forward to the next time we go out together...

Good thing Martin asked if I wanted to keep the fish... my first response was "nah, with two fish caught right off the bat, I'll probably catch my own"... good thing I changed my mind when Martin convinced me to hold on to it in case the ones I caught weren't keepers... LOL! Its cleaned and ready to roast Masgouf style! pictures will be posted!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nicely done Martin. You are a fish-catching machine these days. I like photo #6 -- a skilled angler and his catch.

I find it interesting that you had a strong bite early in the morning, then it shut down almost completely. I found the same thing in the Severn yesterday morning. Even some of the trollers in the tournament I participated in yesterday had the same experience. Who knows why the fish act that way, but it was a very observable phenomenon.

For the rest of you, try following Martin around and fish when, where, and how he does. He is on a hot streak.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          For the rest of you, try following Martin around and fish when, where, and how he does. He is on a hot streak.
          Totally going to be my game plan from now on! LOL!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

This is my home town area! wish I woulda known yall were going I woulda def. joined you. Great report! Action is always best super early, I usually fish there at night.

Moc- what you said about the FF helping was spot on. This time of year the surface water temp can be as much as 15 degrees colder than the deeper water. Baitfish, mainly silverside, are down deeper in the warmer water. The rockfish are suspended feasting on the bait balls. Most guys trolling from boats run their lines very deep this time of year. I love my DSI because sometimes I can actually see the thermocline (where the warm deeper water meets the cool surface water) on my screen.
            -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

I had a great time and it was nice to meet a couple new guys. I'm sorry I left a bit early but the back pain was too great. I had a blast and can't wait to do it again. EVEN THOUGH I GOT SKUNKED!!!
              Tom Brown
              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
              2012 Hobie PA 14'
              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Working...
              X