Fished mattawoman creek 11/12/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fished mattawoman creek 11/12/12

I decided to give Mattawoman creek a try yesterday, putting in at the bridge launch. I arrived around 10:00am and fished until 5:00pm, it is amazing how much the river has changed since all the grasses are gone, leaving only the spatterdock. Fishing was really slow early on as the tide was out, but it was agreat day, saw at least a dozed bald eagles...jumped up a nice 10 point buck (no bow), and ducks everywhere. Once the tide came in the fishing started to pick up, I did manage to catch a nice fat 19 inch LM and a really big blue cat on a pumpkin green chatterbait, but unfortunately as dusk was approaching I had to head back. Based on the number of feeding fish right before dusk...there are still alot of fish to be had..just gotta get the tide right. Good luck to all and good fishing.
    John

Cuda 12
    F&S Eagle Talon 12

I am glad that you caught some. In two creeks off of the severn river I also noticed that the fishing became more active after mid day for me.

Comment

Great job Wedge!!! Your report has motivated me to get there sometime this coming weekend. So how was the water clarity? Did you catch both fish on the chatterbait deep in the spatterdock, or more along the creek channel?

Any snakehead sightings?

Comment

Wedge,

Since you said you saw lots of ducks there, is it wide open enough now to be able to see others and possibly hunt ducks you think there? I would like to get back in where the barge is near the tree line to hunt them. I would think it should be really good. Thoughts?
        Keith
        2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Regarding the ducks and hunting them, I'd check regulations. I am pretty sure you'd need a permit of some sort especially in those creeks with all the kayakers and boaters. Just my thoughts.
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Yakersaltlife,
            When hunting the tidal waters in Maryland you need a blind site permit. You sign up for the lottery August 1st and get a ticket and get in line to draw a good spot. Mattawoman creek is all licenses up and someone will have the DNR all over you if you try hunting there.

The rules you have to follow and the process.

The map, zoom in to see what areas are licensed off already.

There are public blind sites you can get daily permits for
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Archery,

Thanks for the reminder. I totally wasnt thinking about it being tidal there. I do know about the blind site stuff, and find it to be nothing but a PIA, but what else in MD isnt! Thanks!
              Keith
              2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Look at the map. Some areas on the Potomac, like just below Harpers Ferry are all licensed off. Those people send lawyers after you if they catch you too.
                "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I know those people that own that, and only some of them will send laywer. Its a hard area to hunt, but that is where I am camoing up for. Got some material yesterday, hope to make my blind sometime in the next week.
                  Keith
                  2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                  X