Weems Creek- 11/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek- 11/18

Launched my new Outback for the second time at Weems today around 10. My maiden voyage in the replacement from Backyard Boats was a trip out to Weems last Sunday too. I ended up hooking 9 pickerel and landing 6 today, the biggest being 18. Last weekend my biggest was 22 and I also caught 6 then as well. Today I was surprised to find a small school of White Perch back in the shallows and caught 3, the biggest being 10.5''. Overall both good days on the water. On my way back in today I heard something up in the trees and looked up to see a Red-tailed Hawk close to the water and thought it was injured. But it actually had a freshly killed squirrel that it was dragging and trying to scarf down. I think the people in the house it was in front of had a good view of the meal!
    Attached Files
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

Nice shane, glad to see your back in commission. we'll have to get out soon.

Comment

Yea Matt for sure. Looked like you had some good success with some bigger Reds on your trip, sucks you had to cut it short.
      Shane
      Hobie Outback

Comment

Great photos! I need to get to Weems one day. When I was a kid my father used to lauch our power boat at Weems. So I have memories of being a little kid and us kinda driving through a neighborhood and launching not too far from some school. I remember the street basically dead ending into a little ramp down a steep hill at the creek. We would take a right and motor slowly out to the Severn (I think). The Route 50 bridge would then be to our left and if we went right there was an old railroad bridge that I think is now torn down.... I remember trying to fish and crab along that old railroad bridge.

Does any of that sound familiar to anyone? This was in the 70's and early 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Great photos! I need to get to Weems one day. When I was a kid my father used to lauch our power boat at Weems. So I have memories of being a little kid and us kinda driving through a neighborhood and launching not too far from some school. I remember the street basically dead ending into a little ramp down a steep hill at the creek. We would take a right and motor slowly out to the Severn (I think). The Route 50 bridge would then be to our left and if we went right there was an old railroad bridge that I think is now torn down.... I remember trying to fish and crab along that old railroad bridge.

Does any of that sound familiar to anyone? This was in the 70's and early 80's.
          You are describing the Tucker Street ramp in West Annapolis. It is a great place for launching kayaks. But you cannot park a trailer on the local streets without a City of Annapolis permit (available to residents only).

Weems Creek has not been an outstanding pickerel tributary for the past few years (at least not compared to some other Severn tribs). But my own experience this year, plus strong catch reports from Shane, Martin, and others suggests that pickerel are abundant there this year. It is very convenient to be able to launch into sheltered waters and paddle to a section of the creek that is protected from the worst of the wind under most weather conditions.

Plus as Shane noted, Weems is full of wildlife. I regularly see herons, kingfishers, ducks, geese, hawks, ospreys, squirrels, bluejays, cardinals, and other local species. Periodically, I see deer, fox, water snakes, and even a muskrat now and then. And I have caught many fish in Weems throughout the past year (white perch, yellow perch, rockfish, pickerel, bluefish, spot, croaker, channel catfish (one of these on an ultralight last summer), redfish, pumpkinseed sunfish.

DanMarino's memory is excellent. But you are aging yourself if you remember the old railroad bridge. It was torn down long before I moved to this area. But local anglers still seek out the remains and debris pile from that bridge as a jigging spot. The northern side of the bridge left the shore just upstream from the old Manresa white mansion on the hill. The southern end of the bridge enters what is now a residential area a short ways downstream from Weems.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Looks like I need to buy a pickup truck. Right now I trailer my kayaks on a small utility trailer. Maybe down the road I'll be able to revisit the Weems Creek of my childhood and perhaps catch a pickerel too!

Comment

Working...
            X