Slow going at the 301 Bridge 12-2-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow going at the 301 Bridge 12-2-2012

I met Shield, Ron Ault, and Rockchaser today around 11am at the Marina by the Harry Nice Memorial Bridge. The fog had just lifted. We fished slack and through the incoming tide from 11:30am to 3:30am. For me, I trolled a spoon, a 2 ounce jighead tipped with a 5 inch Gulp swimming mullet, a stretch 25, and I jigged with Gulp and I got no real bites. I did get one hard hookup at the bridge pilings. I thought that I was hung up until I realized while winding my line in, that I was looking at my leader and I was in 45 feet of water. The animal was just below my boat. It broke free and took half my 5 inch Gulp mullet with it. I never saw what it was. I know it was not a rockfish. I think it might have been a big cat that took my bait. That was all the excitement that I had. We were all skunked today except for Ron who landed while trolling a sub legal rockfish. There were fish there. They just had locked jaw. My fishfinder was going nuts with fish. We did see one guy that was fishing from shore cast his line out that was tipped with shrimp and he managed to land a 14 inch puppy drum. It was getting chilly in the afternoon after a high of 60 degrees, so I decided to call it a day and head home. My recent desire to get a keeper rockfish still illudes me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by moc; 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM.

Good try Martin,
    John & I got skunk at SPSP on Sat.
    Thanks for the report..
    GB

Comment

Sorry about the tough bite. You are certainly getting around to see different places and look for new species -- and that is a good part of the enjoyment. You'll get them next time.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sorry to hear that Martin. BassMoore caught one small Pickerel And DaddyG and I both caught a skunk. It was foggy in the morning but the water was very calm. Overall, it was a very enjoyable day on water. On the upside, we did not have to spend as much on gasoline as you guys.

Comment

Hi MOC,
          I think it's getting tougher everyday. I just noticed that Fish ID mode is ON on your FF. Has the the Fisg ID mode on worked (accurately)? I set mine to off always to see the images of fish.

Thank you?
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

This is my first season on the Kayak(rookie) and I have scoured past seasons threads and concetrated on threads posted by members such as Moc, Joe, Ron and have learned so much from you guys. From studying you guys I'm going to keep fishing through the winter, were this time in years past I put everything away until Feb. I'm going to fish the 301 bridge tues. The wind should be out of the south about 8 mph and I put a live bait trap out by the bridge 3 days ago and I really think that if I mark fish that I think live bait will better my chances off of a slow bite because of the water temps. I will report.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
              This is my first season on the Kayak(rookie) and I have scoured past seasons threads and concetrated on threads posted by members such as Moc, Joe, Ron and have learned so much from you guys. From studying you guys I'm going to keep fishing through the winter, were this time in years past I put everything away until Feb. I'm going to fish the 301 bridge tues. The wind should be out of the south about 8 mph and I put a live bait trap out by the bridge 3 days ago and I really think that if I mark fish that I think live bait will better my chances off of a slow bite because of the water temps. I will report.
              I am glad we can help. I always said Snaggedline was like a kayak fishing university for me. The only fish that I saw caught on bait was a redfish. It was 14inches and caught on raw shrimp.

I will look at my fishfinder also and try without the Fish ID on. With the ID it is I know this particular fishi finder is accurate because when the fish are hungry, I always got action when the FF reported it.

Comment

during thanksgiving my son and I fished hard and got nada at the bridge. We marked few fish and could not even get a catfish with cut bluefish. We saw multiple power boaters fish the outlet and only 2 fish caught...one legal one just short.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

r

I think the right live bait bounced near or in the discharge ditch will produce fish- one boater anchored up Sunday on the north side of the current coming out of the PEPCO discharge ditch was working a lure (it wasn't a stingsilver) on the bottom caught two legal fish and released several more- he was coy about what he was doing about what he was using- he told me he had caught several redfish, but I watched him net two keeper stripers. I caught a small striper in the shallow waters (10 feet deep) - I had two hits all day- very slow- nothing on XRaps- nothing on Tony spoons- nothing on Gulp 10 inch mud/silver eel- nothing on stingsilver jigs- nothing on swim shads- only the trolled jig with 4 inch chartreuse gulp mullet had hits- and it got nothing jigging-
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I fish this area regularly from a boat and we typically use a 6" grub on a 1oz, 1.5oz, or 2oz jighead. Chartruese or lime are usually the best colors but sometimes purple worls. The past two trips I made there have been slow. Were the gill nets out yet?
                    Used to fish more.

Comment

Nope, no gill nets that I saw-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I did not see any gill nets, but I will be sure to follow SurfDog's fishing rules, fish with artificials, but always keep some live/frozen bait in reserve.....never leave home without it.

Comment

Working...
                        X