Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time fishing under bb and my first report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time fishing under bb and my first report.

Went to the bay bridge this morning launched from G-dock, with my outback I had recently bought used. base on my last outing with the kayak I found out its alot easier to put the mirage drive in the kayak first rather then to try and do that while on the water. So I push one pedal forward to keep the fins flush with the hull and proceeded down toward the dock to load the yak into the water. Ended up snagging a fin on the curb just before the dock not realizing that I bent the metal shaft that runs length wise along the fin. So just as I passed the entrance to the marina my drive broke and I had to make an emergency repair on the mirage drive while on the water because the cotter pin had also broke and was gone. I ended up putting torque against the mirage drive to straighten the shaft and using a hook with the bend cut off as a new cotter pin. I eventually made it to the rock piles jigging 1/2oz bkd's and zoom super flukes with no luck. Then my lovely elite 5 battery dies so now with a half retarded mirage drive and no electronics I was destined for failure. Luckily some boaters with knowledge of the bay bridge came by gave me a lure they were catching stripers and white perch Infront of me with and I ended the trip unskunked with 3 white perch and no stripers. A crappy start but ended off better than I expected. I was pulling the fish out of 60' depths
    Attached Files
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Thanks for the report! Although it might seem easier to put the mirage drive in prior to launch, you are probably better off putting it in the well while on the water to avoid damage while launching. I know some people leave it on all the time, but I prefer to take it in and out. Once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature. At the G dock, I like to slide the kayak in the water and then reach down and set the mirage drive in the well before boarding the kayak.

Another tip for this time of year. Even though the air was pretty warm today, the water is cold and if you for some reason end up in the water with regular shoes and thin long pants, it would be game over. Some guys like to wear dry suits, but the cheap route is to just get a pair of breathable waders that have a belt.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah, I was we'll aware of the water temps and the risk I was taking. I don't have the gear at the moment to survive the cold waters long. That's why I picked a day like today, there was barely any wind and the water was like a sheet of glass the whole day. If the conditions gotten any worse I would have turned it in before anything could happen. Even though sh*t is always bound to happen. Probably why my mirage drive broke, some outside power's pour attempt to stop me from going out lol
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

Sorry about the damage to your drive. You showed good innovation by patching the unit with a fishing hook. You also showed perseverance by continuing on your way and catching fish. But I second Shadyfisher's suggestion to dress appropriately any time you are kayaking in cold water. I have found water temps in the upper 40s in the Severn recently. I suspect they were similar in the open bay water. The rockpile is a long distance from any shore. Keep safe.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks! I plan to buy a dry suit soon as I will do this cold water fishing more often throughout the years to come. I have 200gram thinsulate waders but that would have been too much for a day like this morning. I figured the less heavy clothing the easier it will be to pull myself back into the yak and easier to shed the wet clothing afterwards. It was sunny out enough for me to think ill warm up and dry off on my pedal back to G-dock lol but yeah the water temps were mid to upper 40's
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          X