good pickerel bite - Dec 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good pickerel bite - Dec 4

Today I could not pass up the delightful weather. I fished for about 2 hours and caught 15 pickerel -- I had two at 19", then later in the trip I managed a 21" fish.

One of the 19" pickerel had an old gash in its side. I don't know if a raccoon or an osprey may have swiped it when it was young.

Early on I had several bites but the fish did not hook up solidly. After the second time this happened, I looked at the poor minnow. The pickerel must have grabbed it by the tail and held on. On the second time, the pickerel bit the tail off the minnow.

I also spent some time drifting over a debris pile and jigging. The sonar showed schools of fish, but I could not get a bite. I tried various rigs -- BKDs, 2-oz crippled herring metal lure with a Gulp teaser a foot up the line. That makes 4 trips in a row that I jigged there without getting bites.

Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Well, I was on the fence about trying for Picks again in the Severn or trying for Striper somewhere else this weekend, but I know where Im going now. Thanks for the report!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice report John, looks like that needs to be my bait of choice from now on! I also got out there for a few hours this afternoon and for convenience I walked down the hill and launched at Truxton on Spa Creek. I was throwing a gulp swimming mullet on a light jighead. This was the first time I tried for pickerel there and managed 3 in two hours with the biggest being 17''. There isn't as much good pickerel habitat shoreline in Spa as there is in other Severn tributaries. I'm going to give other places a try soon.
      Shane
      Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice report John, it was a good day for pickerel down on the Pocomoke as well. I got an 18 and my first citation with a 25. Quite an awesome day for Dec.
        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Reelaxin10 View Post
          Nice report John, looks like that needs to be my bait of choice from now on! I also got out there for a few hours this afternoon and for convenience I walked down the hill and launched at Truxton on Spa Creek. I was throwing a gulp swimming mullet on a light jighead. This was the first time I tried for pickerel there and managed 3 in two hours with the biggest being 17''. There isn't as much good pickerel habitat shoreline in Spa as there is in other Severn tributaries. I'm going to give other places a try soon.
          Shane -

I was doing well on Gulp baits up until Thanksgiving. Just like last year, the artificials dropped off in catching success in late Nov. As soon as I switched to live minnows, the bite rate picked up again. But that doesn't mean lots of caught fish every trip -- it just improves the odds a bit. Since switching to minnows, I caught 14 pickerel one trip and 15 on another trip when fishing in waters that I know hold pickerel. On a third trip, in which I was exploring less familiar areas, I caught only 4 pickerel.

Regarding minnows, I buy mine at Anglers -- they seem to be the only Annapolis area shop that consistently has minnows throughout the winter. I typically buy a pint at a time for $8 (similar to a bag of Gulp). I keep them in a minnow bucket set inside a 5-gal bucket in my garage (no food, no aeration). During the winter months when the air temp is cool, they last for 2-3 weeks. Each time I go out, I dunk the minnow bucket in the river several times to give them fresh water. I have fished three trips so far on the first batch, and should have enough minnows left for 2 or 3 more trips.

I have much better success using smaller minnows (2" to 3" - diameter slightly larger than a pencil). In each batch of minnows, I get some large ones (4" to 6" - as big around as my thumb). I get far fewer hits on minnows of this size.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Have you ever tried Perch patterned jerk baits for pickeral? That is a pattern that is devistating on pickeral at Deep Creek Lake in western MD. It may be difficult to get the proper jerk bait action sitting in a kayak...but standing in a boat, rod tip down and jerking that bait hard works great up there. Do they make Perch pattern gulp? I love pickeral fishing and would love the opportunity to explore the rivers on the eastern shore.
            Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

John,
              Nice intel on the minnows, good way to may them last. I caught both of the pickerel yesterday and a small bass, on a BA (dark green with specks, and chartreuse tail) on a 1/4 oz chartreuse jig head. I hope to join you this spring or sooner for a Severn trip

wfauby,
              Anytime you and anyone else want to make the trip to the ES just let me know and I will be glad to meet you and wet a few lines.

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
                Have you ever tried Perch patterned jerk baits for pickeral? That is a pattern that is devistating on pickeral at Deep Creek Lake in western MD. It may be difficult to get the proper jerk bait action sitting in a kayak...but standing in a boat, rod tip down and jerking that bait hard works great up there. Do they make Perch pattern gulp? I love pickeral fishing and would love the opportunity to explore the rivers on the eastern shore.
                I have had little success over the years throwing or trolling hard plastic lures, so I rarely try them any more. I think it is user error rather than any fault of the lures.

Last winter, Ictalurus (Bill - who has been remarkably quiet on this site for the past few months after starting a new job and having his first child -- both in the same month) fished with me twice in Severn tributaries. Bill had great success throwing a very small Rapala lure. I think it was in fire tiger pattern. So to answer your question, I think they do work in the hands of an angler who knows how to use them.

I have not seen Gulp baits in patterns yet. A few styles offer two-tone or shaded colors, but I am not aware of any detailed patterns.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Thanks for the info John. I guess it's time to invest in a minnow bucket. Think I could catch my own with a minnow trap off my community pier in spa creek this time of year?
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah, John, I am noticing that Bill has taken his family responsibilities very seriously (as he should) and those of us who enjoy his laid-back, friendly company miss him out on the water- There is a core group of Southern Maryland kayakers that usually fish together (a bunch) and Bill has been the ring leader for a long time-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Reelaxin10 View Post
                      Think I could catch my own with a minnow trap off my community pier in spa creek this time of year?
                      I think you could catch some. Are you comfortable leaving a trap out overnight at that location?
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        I think you could catch some. Are you comfortable leaving a trap out overnight at that location?
                        Yea I would be comfortable because not everyone has access to the locked gate and pier on the right. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.
                        Shane
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X