Bay Bridge 12/8/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 12/8/2012

I left my house and headed to Anglers. I got a call from Don (Shield) and he had to cancel. I ran into Jimmy (Rockchaser) and a new kayaker named Dale at Anglers. After getting some supplies We headed over to the boat ramp at Sandy Point. Tom and John (Nay_Sayer) were already there. The temperature was great at 52 degrees heading up to 65 degrees. There was little or no wind. The water was flat, however, a really dense fog hovered over the water for most of the morning. It did not clear until we got off the water at 2pm. We headed out to the western rock piles. I was marking lots of fish, but they had lock jaw. So we made it out to the eastern rock pile. That is where many of us started catching fish. Most of the fish that were caught were rockfish 10 inches to 17.75 inches in 40 to 60 feet of a water. The hot bait turned out to be metal lures jigged from the bottom. I was using a 2 ounce butterfly jig. By the time that I decided to troll back to shore, I landed 9 fish rockfish. Some of the other guys landed short stripers and a few small perch were pulled out of the depths. According to Nathan's (Echo5Oscar) GPS we did 8 to 9 miles today. No wonder I am so tired now I am home. It was a fun time seeing everyone, and I got my weekly pullage, even if they were not keepers. It was good to see Tom, Jimmy, Nathan, Jason, John and a new yaker Dale.
    Attached Files

It was a great time out there. I took a few pics of the crowd of boats and yaks combine so you can get an idea of how many people were there catching. Sucks I had to leave early but still had a good time. Good to see everyone out there
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Nice work Moc, et al- even if there weren't any "keepers" it is fishing- and the outing, the experience and fellowship with our forum buddies are what makes the trips worthwhile- Mike, Kevin and I are headed out today, so we will let you all know how it goes from way down in the southern most part of Maryland today-

Yesterday, I sat around cleaning reels and replacing the lines on two of my baitcasters- getting ready for today- from everything I am hearing and reading the fish are deep in the warmer waters near the bottom- mostly around 40-50 feet and deeper, so shallow waters are not productive, even in the creeks and inlets-
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-09-2012, 06:58 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the report.
        Your report encourage me. I was skunked a few weeks ago and I didn't see any stripers on the FF but WP. I may try one more time before the season is over.
        Like you guys, regardless the results, being out there is fun
        joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Sure looks like Medicyaker is bowed up on a big fish, or is that just a snag? Anyways, nice report and sounds like good time.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Been skunked there, so you guys have given me some hope for BB.

I've been jigging plastic bkds and curly tails for stripers. I think I'm going to use metal now. Thanks for the report.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Glad you guys caught some fish at the BB! It's been rough going for me lately.

Historically, I've also had much better luck at the eastern rock pile than at the western. The deep hole between the rocks and the big bridge piling holds fish all winter long.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Medicyaker pulled up a rock the size of a softball, I guess that could qualify as a Rockfish.

Like the rest of us he did pull in a few of the real thing as well.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Haha, I cant deny catching those kinds of rockfish more than a few times...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Glad you got your
                    pullage old Buddy.
                    Lol
                    GB

Comment

Looks like you guys made the MD DNR fishing report!
                      http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...port/index.asp
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Yes! I was quite surprised! Way to go for our MKF Members!

Comment

WOW, We had a "Kayak Fleet" according to MD DNR!!! LOL Too Funny. I had a BLAST!!! I needed a day like that after the past two weeks I've had with personal issues. Yes I got "bowed up" and the funny thing was I actually felt a head shake when I first set the hook. I felt a strike and set the hook and felt a shake. Then nothing. Just a bow on the rod and a ton of weight and no more shake. I was retrieving line so I didn't know what the hell I had until I got "it" to the surface. When I found out it was a Rock and not the Fish of the same name, I yelled to MOC to PLEASE don't take a picture of that. I was embarrassed at the least. I still had a great time out with some friends and was so sore the next day. Next time I take the Hobie. Thanks to John, (NaySayer) for helping me get through the channel in some VERY DENSE FOG as I was too tired and sore to paddle. ( I gotta get one of those Hobie PA's!!!) Thanks buddy. All in all a good day and a lot of fish, albeit small ones but its all about the sport and the friendships right??? Thanks for the great pics Martin,
                          Tom Brown
                          Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                          2012 Hobie PA 14'
                          Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                          2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Working...
                          X