Severn River 12/11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River 12/11/12

I launched from Jonas Green today around 11:30. I started off by checking out the old bridge structure. Like John V. mentioned in an earlier report, I was marking fish but couldn't get any hits. I then paddled to a nearby creek and proceeded to catch 6 pickerel in about 45 mins. On my way back to the beach I decided to try the old bridge structure again. This time I was able to pick up a fat 22"-23" striper. He hit a 4" Gulp Swimming Mullet on a white 1/2oz jig head. That proves the fish are there, just very selective.

Attached Files
    Hobie PA 12

Congratulations on figuring out the debris pile. Were you jigging the 4" Gulp when you first started out? I have been jigging bigger baits (6" BKDs, 2-ounce crippled herring) without a touch.

Also, 6 pickerel in 45 mins is a great catch rate. Did you get any longer than 20"?
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice fish!! I haven't fished my secret honey hole aka as the debris pile in a while, maybe since late October. I find that I always get bites on smaller lures mainly a teaser fly. I have tried BKD's with only a greedy WP to show for it. I am thinking that the main food source are smaller fish. But that's just my observation. I have been meaning to try Gulp swimming mullet there too! I really wanna try those new Gulp Jigheads on em.

Comment

Wow, finally someone cracked the code! Congrats, that a nice fall Striper.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

John,
          I tried the swimming mullet both times. I didn't bring a big variety of lures with me, just my usual pickerel go to's and one rod with a white 1/2oz jig head. I should have brought the sting silver dropper fly rig. Maybe later this week.
          Hobie PA 12

Comment

WTG Ed!
            Thanks for the report..
            GB

Comment

Working...
            X