Productive morning on the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Productive morning on the Severn

I launched my kayak in the Severn this morning. The wind was almost nonexistent at first -- the tide had just started moving out. I spent the first hour drifting and jigging some debris piles. I have tried that on my last 5 trips without even a single bite.

This morning, I ended that streak and managed to hook a strong 25" rockfish -- my largest ever in the Severn and I think my largest of the year from my kayak.

That got things off to a great start. I was jigging a 6" BKD on a 1/2-oz jighead.

The new FF/GPS I installed on my kayak gives sensitive readings. I was able to watch the jig moving up and down on the screen. It seemed to have an up/down motion range of about 5-6 ft.

After several more unproductive drifts using the BKD, I tried two drifts with a live minnow on the same jighead. This time I jigged more gently -- the up/down motion range was now 2-3 ft.

I had no bites on the minnow, and eventually snagged the lure and broke off. Note that my rod tip was not moving nearly those vertical distances -- yet the snap in the rod and the non-stretch Powerpro line caused the jighead to jump up more than the rod tip distance.

I stowed the jigging rod and paddled to a tributary that has been productive for pickerel the last two months. Today was not just productive -- it turned out to be VERY PRODUCTIVE!. I ended up catching 19 pickerel in the next two hours -- all on live minnows on small jigheads. I do not fish minnows under a bobber -- rather I cast and retrieve. I caught several pickerel at 18" to 19" and one at 20.5".

I fished the same circuit in the tributary twice. What I have found this fall is that the second time through an area, even an hour later, the bite is noticeably less. I found that trend holds not only for me returning to the same spots after letting them alone for an hour. I have an anecdotal observation on two separate tributaries just last week. Shadyfisher (Ryan) had fished the same tributaries early in the morning. I came out about mid-day. I still caught some pickerel but not as many as he had. I suspect that the fish had not fully settled down after he had moved through that area a few hours before. I am curious how long a stretch of water must be left undisturbed before the fish return to full biting intensity.

It was a very enjoyable morning on the Severn. Compared to the cost of operating a large power boat, the trip was a real bargain (but of course the MKF membership already knows that)-- the total cost was under $5.

$1.60 - half a gallon of gas (driving my van to and from the ramp).
    $0.75 - 1 lost jighead.
    $2.00 - ~ 1/4 pint of minnows.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 12-15-2012, 05:58 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

the pickeral whisperer strikes again!
    could you attribute the change in bite second go-round to subtle changes in tidal flow/ light penetration or any of a dozen other changes that could occur over a period of time?

Comment

John,
      If there was an award for the best report, you would win it hands down each week. Great detail, photos, and more important, a thought provoking fishing insight. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Originally posted by zimm View Post
        the pickeral whisperer strikes again!
        could you attribute the change in bite second go-round to subtle changes in tidal flow/ light penetration or any of a dozen other changes that could occur over a period of time?
        I can't rule that out in general, but I don't think those things made a difference today. If they did, I would expect an improved catch rate on the second pass during some trips -- but I have not seen that -- at least this fall.

Those of us in paddle or pedal driven craft disturb the shallow water far more than we realize just by passing through. The fish are undoubtedly aware of the large plastic cylinder sliding through the shallow water, and the noise and turbulence made when we move or reposition must be very obvious to them. If we bang something or drop our pliers on the deck, it sends non-natural noises into the water. If I plan to take a few more casts in close quarters, I tend to be very cautious and subtle about any paddle strokes I make to turn or relocate my kayak.

It would be interesting for one of the MKF members who has a fully submersible camera with sound capability to make some tests of how much sound is created by paddling or using turbo fins. I recall an article in Fisherman magazine many years ago by Lenny Rudow. He used a waterproof sound meter to test the decibel level of an outboard motor at idle, in neutral, and also an electric trolling motor. The noise was more than you might expect.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
          John,
          If there was an award for the best report, you would win it hands down each week. Great detail, photos, and more important, a thought provoking fishing insight. Keep 'em coming!
          Gary -

Thank you for those kind words. They do mean a lot, because I try to convey not only what I caught, but how and sometimes why I caught it in my reports. Throughout my work career, I did a lot of technical writing. Over the last decade, I realized the importance of writing documents not just to impress other people in the field, but to help less technical, but still interested readers understand what I was trying to say.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

Nice going John. I was very tempted to fish Jonas today but had other things to take care of . I'm glad you got a nice striper too!
            Hobie PA 12

Comment

Glad you had a great day John. I didn't make it out, my girlfriend stayed until the afternoon. Once she left I ended up biking around quiet waters park. It looks super pickerel fishy over there. Anyone ever fish it?

Comment

Thanks for the report John and nice work on the rock!

Ernie

Comment

congrats on the nice rockfish, John! and also the bunches of pickerels.
                  that jighead looks familiar...i am going to have to try that one next time i'm out =).
                  Sun Fishin'

Comment

Excellent detailed report john. Sounds like I should have stayed closer to home for my final md keeper striper for the year. Went to susky flats and covered a ton of water to get 4 short striper and one possible keeper that jumped out of my hands as I was trying to put it on my measuring board.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

great report john, thanks.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

$1.60 - half a gallon of gas (driving my van to and from the ramp).
                        $0.75 - 1 lost jighead.
                        $2.00 - ~ 1/4 pint of minnows.
                        I'll add one line item:

A 25" striped on light tackle - Priceless.
                        Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                          that jighead looks familiar
                          Sun - I'm pretty sure that jighead came out of the CBKA tournament goodie bag. I already used up the soft plastics that came in the bag -- everything worked well. Thanks to the guys on the tournament committee who put those bags together.

The spot where I caught the striper was where I took you and Ryan about a year ago before we headed to the pickerel cove. It looks they are back again this year. And for the rest of the winter, they are catch and release only. I put my striper back yesterday -- it was it's lucky morning. From the fish's perspective, it is definitely better to have a sore jaw than to be filleted and consumed!
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Really nice report John, I especially liked the FF screen shots. As someone who is in the market for one, it helps to see some action shots of them. I didn't know that you could see your lure like that.

Hopefully in the new year I hope to come back out to your neck of the woods... err water
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                            X