New personal best pickerel for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New personal best pickerel for me

After fishing in the fog in Weems Creek yesterday, I did not plan to go out again today, but could not pass up a mild sunny day. I had just 3 hours between two conference calls. I loaded the kayak and gear in the car before the first call. As soon as it ended, I headed to the Tucker St ramp and launched at 11:00.

I ran a similar circuit to the one I made yesterday. I caught 6 fish today. The fourth of the day was memorable. I could tell it was a large one because it bent my 6' ultralight rod down hard and swam under the boat for 20 seconds before I could get the fish up. Once at boatside, I grabbed the 20-lb leader and swung it into the kayak. Once inside the kayak, the leader broke off from the jighead so I covered the fish with my legs until I could grab my lip gripper. I got the big fish onto the Hawg Trough and measured it out at 23.75".

My previous best (twice last winter and twice this year in the two weeks immediately before the SRRKC pickerel tournament started) was 23.25". I am thrilled to catch such a big pickerel today and to finally have three eligible fish to make up a composite for the SRRKC tournament. Today's biggun is the 91st pickerel I have caught since the tournament started on Nov 15 (during 11 trips). It has been easy finding pickerel -- but tough finding big ones this year in the Severn.

I returned to the ramp about 1:15, making my fishing time just over two hours. The wind, which had been calm at 11:00, was now gusting. It kept building during the afternoon. I was glad to be off the water. I saw cbkayak (Matt) at the ramp getting ready to head out. I hope the wind did not make fishing too difficult for him.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

good pickeral and i went fishing today in selby bay and hooked something with a white and pink twister tail, but i never saw it, i hope it was a pickeral. i will try again this weekend with minnows and maybe i can catch one

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
      good pickeral and i went fishing today in selby bay and hooked something with a white and pink twister tail, but i never saw it, i hope it was a pickeral. i will try again this weekend with minnows and maybe i can catch one
      Keep trying and you will get a better sense of what lures, techniques, and locations produce for you. Judging from all the fish you caught this year, you will soon figure out how and where to get pickerel.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah, Ihave cot just about every species on the east coast, the pickeral need to watch out because when Ilearn how to catch them they will ill quit eating in fear of me catching them. My goal for 2013 is to catch a pickeral though

Comment

That's a bruiser! Nice fish!
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice fish John! I'm hoping to get out later this week when I get home from work.
            Hobie PA 12

Comment

Nice one! Im hoping to get back at it again soon too!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Congrats on a nice fish! I think you're the Pick-Master.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

John,

Congrats on the big fish...

Comment

Good Job John, Looks like a a great fish! I have yet to get any over 20 since the tournament started. Matt and I fished on Monday in the fog as well and launched from Jonas but my biggest was 19.5. Almost 24'' is a beast!
                    Shane
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice fish John!!
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I thought my personal best was a monster NICE Fish..
                        Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                        Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X