Pickerel in the snow/rain - Dec 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickerel in the snow/rain - Dec 24

There have not been many fishing reports on snaggedline recently, so I thought I would submit one.

My inlaws were here for the past 24 hours. I was unable to fish on Fri or Sat because of the wind, then not on Sun afternoon or this morning because of the inlaw visit. They left at 12:45. I already had the kayak loaded into the van and was ready to take off as soon as they left. At 12:30, occasional light snow pellets began falling in Annapolis. By the time I got to the launch in Weems Creek and hit the water, it was 1:15 and the snow had mostly turned to rain. I fished in Weems Creek in many of my usual spots for 1.5 hours. The bite was very slow -- I caught 1 modest pickerel at 16" and a second one that was my smallest of the year (~8-9"). It was not even big enough around to qualify as a hammer handle -- it was more like a cigar!

It rained throughout the trip -- of course having chest waders and a dry top kept me dry. I needed some fresh air, some water time, and some pullage. So even though the fishing was slow, I did get out there for a while and managed two fish.

Merry Christmas to all.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Good for you, John- I plan on doing the same this Friday on the Mattawoman Creek- High Tide is 7:34 A.M. and low at 1:07 P.M.Figure to Launch around 8:30 A.M. and fish the outgoing Tide-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hey john, yesterday I tried off of a friends pier in the Severn in a creek that I think is called college creek but I caught no pickerel . Today we tried fishing off of our marina dock ( gingerville yachts ). Which is right after the south river bridge and I caught no pickerel. I have also tried blackwalnut cove every evening for the past 6 days using minnows and spoons and still no pickerel. My dads friends friend is a serious pickerel angler who goes out on his boat and canoe in the Severn and he is taking us on Friday . Hopefully once my dad gets a yak we can try out other places for pickerel . I wish our boat was not winterized because we would be pickerel fishing from that now . Hopefully when my dad gets a yak (he's getting the hobie out back this winter) i can go with you and learn more about the pickerel. I really want to catch one.

Comment

Better than I Did, John. i was on an eastern shore river in talbot county and had not a nibble. It was a lovely light winds day, cold as hell, fishing in the sleet in the afternoon was enjoyable. Happy holidaze everyone!
        What you give, you become.

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
          Hey john, yesterday I tried off of a friends pier in the Severn in a creek that I think is called college creek but I caught no pickerel . Today we tried fishing off of our marina dock ( gingerville yachts ). Which is right after the south river bridge and I caught no pickerel. I have also tried blackwalnut cove every evening for the past 6 days using minnows and spoons and still no pickerel. My dads friends friend is a serious pickerel angler who goes out on his boat and canoe in the Severn and he is taking us on Friday . Hopefully once my dad gets a yak we can try out other places for pickerel . I wish our boat was not winterized because we would be pickerel fishing from that now . Hopefully when my dad gets a yak (he's getting the hobie out back this winter) i can go with you and learn more about the pickerel. I really want to catch one.
          Don't give up hope. I think you are probably fishing where the fish are scarce. Without some sort of a watercraft that allows you to move around, you are at the mercy of where you can cast. My first few years of winter fishing were just like that. In 2006, pickerel were in easy casting range of several onshore casting spots. My best spot that year (on College Creek) has not produced a single pickerel over the next 5 winters -- why -- I don't know.

Don't worry that your Dad winterized his boat -- most tidal pickerel are in skinny water that is better fished with a small powerboat or a canoe/kayak.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

He is getting a hobie outback this winter and hopefully we can go out in feb or march for the pickerel

Comment

Hey, I am just amazed that there is a fish in the bay that Andrew hasn't caught.

Comment

Don - I finally cot one today, read my report

Comment

Working...
                X