Earned it at the bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earned it at the bridge

Couldn't resist the urge to fish yesterday despite the inherent lunacy in any attempt to try in such conditions. Met with my dad (ballsy for a 59 yr old) at sandy point and launched at 245 pm after much delay. Wind really started to whip up out of the south and 2 footers enroute were not uncommon. Big flood tide coupled with driving snow and heavy freezing spray made for an epic hour+ journey just to go 1.7 miles in turbo-finned hobies.

Arrived on site with about an hour and 45 minutes of daylight. Took about another 25 minutes to locate the fish but when we did it was on. I managed to jig up 8 or so in an hour including a 33" pig and several mid 20s. My dad caught 4 or 5 nice ones of his own; smallest was probably 16.

Came back under cover of darkness and 2" of snow/sea ice dodging oil tankers.

repost those pics FRED!!!!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Haha wow very peculiar it appears the server dumped everyone's replies and my pics. I'll get em back later

Comment

aww man. yeah i was about to show my friend! the reel with ice on it is crazy!

Comment

damn quite a day to hit the pilings! Looking forward to the pics. thanks for the tips .
          What you give, you become.

Comment

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

Wicked and crazy... that's awesome! Nice fish too.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Looks like it was one hell of a trip guys nice catch
                '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

WOW nice job. totaly insane

Comment

You are hardcore..... at least you got out and caught some nice fish!

Comment

damn, awesome job! did any of the reels become unsusable bc of the ice or would it just knock off?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                        damn, awesome job! did any of the reels become unsusable bc of the ice or would it just knock off?
                        Funny you should ask that... In fact the reel in that picture was unusable afterwards due to too much cranking with the ice.

Of the 8 rods that we brought only two ended up being usable by the end of the day due to ice.

All of the ice in the pictures was from frozen Bay water that was sprayed on, not from freezing rain; precipitation was all snow. Lunatic behavior in general (but GREAT fishing and well worth it)

Comment

Great photos and hard core does not fully explain it. A testimony to your dedication and what can be done in a hobie pedal powered kayak.

Comment

Working...
                          X