Wow, I got skunked on the Susky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I got skunked on the Susky!

I went looking for yellow perch on the susky today. I don't think I've ever been skunked or even caught less than 20 or 30 for that matter. I'm worried. The fishing should be great right now. The conditions were pretty terrible so I'm hoping that had something to do with it. As usual, there was lots of wood/debris coming down the river to avoid. The current was quite strong and the water was about as muddy as possible. After about 4" my white grub disappeared. I wasn't too worried about that though since fishing in deeper water, there shouldn't really be any light down that far. Who knows though, I got no fish and super bummed.

With the slow report of Mike and Ryan last week it makes me start to wonder what's different.

I fished 8' to 80' and didn't find them at any of those depths nor at any of my favorite rocky spots. Hopefully they're a little late this year. I should also note that I saw no traps out this year so maybe those guys found someplace better. Also, I was pretty much alone the entire time except for a single guy I passed on the docks.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Here are a couple of threads on Tidal Fish Forum about the Yellow Perch drought:

Upper Upper Bay Yellow Perch :
    http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...y-Yellow-Perch

Yellow Perch Fishing Kicks off the New Year:
    http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...f-the-New-Year
    ------------------ ,__
    ------------------ | `'.
    __---------- |`-._/_.:---`-.._
    \='.-------_/..--'`__ ----- `'-._
    -\- '-.--"` ----- === ----- / - o `',
    - )= (-----------------.-- | ----- _.'
    -/_=.'-._------------ {=_-_ | -- .-`-.
    /_.'--- `\`'-._------- '-= - \ -- _.'
    -------- )- _.-'`'-..------ _..-'`
    ------- /_.' ------ `/";';`|
    -------------------- \` .'/
    --------------------- '--'

Comment

You probably already have this site bookmarked... if not then bookmark it!... even if just for you own safety and so you don't waste fishing time going to a place that is in flood stage.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/current?type=flow

Scroll down a ways and click on "SUSQUEHANNA AT CONOWINGO DAM" and it will show you the current flow rate coming from the dam. Full generation will show as 16' and most-likely it will be fishable. Flows higher than 16' mean its at full generation PLUS one or several flood gates will also be open. Then the river will be really fast and guaranteed to be very muddy due to flooding. Should be noted that even at 16' the river can still be too muddy to be productive. Sometimes water conditions on the Susky can be a crap shoot.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I cross the Dam headed to work and this morning and they had two gates open (7:15am). The river all the way down MD222 was rollin.
        Yellow WS Ride 135
        Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

I was planning on perch fishing Bush river and Greys Run later this month. I was already skunked once in January...I am staying optimistic, Still waiting for my first catch on a kayak.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Wow, I'm looking to try again this weekend probably sunday if you're interested, hopefully it will get better.
            Last edited by Shady; 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I am booked this weekend, but available any weekend thereafter. I know Mi327 has expressed interest in fishing that area soon
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I've got family showing up this weekend so I have to drive to PA to visit. I can't this weekend I guess, but the next few I may catch ya.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

All the Conowingo flood gates were closed early this morning... high in the 40Fs all week... no appreciable snow on the ground too melt, and no rain to speak of all week. Dang, this may be the weekend that things start hoppin' up at Havre De Grace. We shall see.
                  Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                  X