Another Banner Day at BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Banner Day at BB

Shrugged off the rain/wind/fog and hit the bridge. Launched from SPSP and rode the back half ebb out. First cast: monster hookup, and lost a 5 minute battle. Great action until the tide slacked, then just killed time and ate lunch as the fish disappeared for a couple hours with no flow. Like clockwork, they showed up on the other side with the flood tide and went back to work. Caught 25 all told from 18-27 inches, and all incredibly rotund. Lost about 1/3 that amount.

Amazingly, not a soul (from boat or yak) all day, and I haven't seen a yak at the BB since October or so (though of course I only get out there every couple weeks or so). Yes, it was raining and a bit windy, but the action is so great out there it befuddles me that people don't brave the weather more...if you dress for it winter is no big deal. For some reason everyone wants to go for YP/pickerel right now, but I like big stripers way more =).

If you live within an hour of the bridge I highly recommend a trip. PM me if you want to know where they are but don't bother going if you don't have a reliable fish finder; they are extremely localized.

WTG Fred!!! Man you seem to be able to stay on em!! Let me know the next time you go out... I would love to join ya. I have yet to catch a keeper sized Striper yet from the BB. What has been your go to lure?

Comment

myt: jigged with a 5 or 6" BKD w/orange garlic dye.

Only took a few pics due to the rain.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg

Comment

You've got it dialed in Fred. Awesome catch!
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

thanks for the report and pics. i sure hope to get on the water soon
          sigpic

Comment

Awesome! Looks like the BB should be in my future...
            Shane
            Hobie Outback

Comment

awesome, I still want to get out there, these upcoming 50 degree days are enticing. Wish I could follow you around for a day ,lol. Thanks for posting this up.
              What you give, you become.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post
                Amazingly, not a soul (from boat or yak) all day, and I haven't seen a yak at the BB since October or so (though of course I only get out there every couple weeks or so).
                That's because you're the only guy crazy enough to be out there! Awesome catch, though! Glad to hear they're still here...or that they're back?
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                  That's because you're the only guy crazy enough to be out there! Awesome catch, though! Glad to hear they're still here...or that they're back?
                  haha probably right I guess...they've been there all winter

Comment

I need to get out there-I have yet to fish the BB- just haven't had an opportunity yet- work has had me on the road every week this year-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

gill netters have put a hurtin on the fish out there this week. 1400lbs per boat Monday-Wednesday. Ive been out at the BB everyday this week and the fish just are not as plentiful.
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Damn...those are big numbers. How have the water conditions been with this wind

Comment

Water is still green and clean.
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Went out today and it was much of the same. Super slow and very few marks. They seemed to be the ones small enough to fit through a net...

Comment

We should start a petition drive to make Striped bass a game fish-
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X