No announcement yet.

Fun morning on the Severn - Meet & Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the reports given at lunch and what has been posted here, the largest pickerel of the day was caught by moc (19.5"). Nicely done Martin.

The smallest pickerel of the day noted so far was by dhawk at 8". Congratulations on that little guy.

In terms of most fish for the day, I think I was top man in that category with 8 pickerel. Counting yesterday's fish, I have caught 207 pickerel from the Severn since Nov 1. I am done targeting pickerel until next winter. They deserve some peace and quiet to conduct their spawning.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Pickerel fest

IMGP0098.jpgIMGP0097.jpgIMGP0102.jpgIt was a great time. I tried Manresa cove, then the next two coves up from there. Got two pickerel in the next cove up, 16" and 18" (measurements are approximate as I forgot my fish gripper and don't have a measuring board and the little buggers wouldn't stay still for me to measure them with a tape.) Tried a rooster tail offset spinner, then a brass Mepps, then a minnow on a jig head. No luck til I put a bobber on about two feet up. I still get really excited when I see that bobber disappear under water. No fish gripper is also why I have a death grip on them in the pictures. Both fish appeared to survive. Thanks John for a great outing, it was good to finally meet you. By the way, in the third cove up was a blue heron rookery, with the birds courting up in the trees. Quite something to watch with their weird posturing and raucous mating calls. If you look hard, you can see one of the nests up in the tree.
      Carpe Pisces

Comment

Kevin and I launched at Tucker Street. I hadn't launched there before, but I had fished the area around the mouth without much luck on prior trips, so we headed upstream. I caught one on a 2" firetiger Storm Shad and 2 on firetiger PowerBait. I didn't have any luck on my firetiger Rapala or a PowerBait Ripple Shad. Here are my pics from the day:

It was awesome to see everyone at lunch and to meet some new folks.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

It was great seeing Bill and Kevin and all of the new members. I bought some Snaggedline stickers form Grilled, and I just put them on my Kayak and truck today. They look SWEET!

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
            Sun...where were you?
            I had to attend a wedding in Philly =/. It was a beautiful day for a wedding...and an even better one to go kayak fishing.
            Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
              I caught one on a 2" firetiger Storm Shad and 2 on firetiger PowerBait. I didn't have any luck on my firetiger Rapala or a PowerBait Ripple Shad.
              Bill, I'm always impressed with how many different lures/baits you try. I've said this before, to no avail, but I've got to start trying more stuff out. I always stick with the same thing all day long! Explains why you catch while I watch...

Nice pics.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                I had to attend a wedding in Philly =/. It was a beautiful day for a wedding...and an even better one to go kayak fishing.
                ahhhh...another kind of Meet and Greet! Well I look forward to fishing with you soon.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                  Bill, I'm always impressed with how many different lures/baits you try. I've said this before, to no avail, but I've got to start trying more stuff out. I always stick with the same thing all day long! Explains why you catch while I watch...

Nice pics.
                  Well I tried spoons, Xrap, 2 kinds of powerbait ( including the exact thing Bill was using), roostertails, mepps, and a flash foil minnow...and only caught 1 pickerel. Guess I am the other extreme....reads like the "Goldilocks", guess some guys are "just right" LOL

Comment

Nice pics.
                    For pickerel, I usually do stick to two lures--the Rapala and the 2" Storm Shad. The fish I caught on the shad tore it up pretty good, so I had to dig out another one. That's when I noticed the Minnow Grub. I had caught several nice fish on it when I fished with John back in January. It got torn up after two fish. I thought I had two of them left over, so I gave one to Kevin. Then I realized the other one in my box was torn up, too. The Ripple Shad was the closest thing I had left over. You'll notice that I may have tried a bunch of lures, but I didn't really stray from firetiger.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

WTG fellas... I was pissed I couldn't attend. But after seeing all those Hobies out there I am glad I didn't!! I looked at the pics and thought they were from NYC!!!(J-bay attendees will understand the joke) Pickeral fishing is fun, but just like Stupidjet I had no luck with minnows, only artificials. I had some takedowns on the minnows, but nothing to show for it! LOL I can't wait for the WP and Stripers to roll through... I intend on doing some pre-work trips once the water warms up a tad.

Comment

Had great time at the M&G that was my first trip with my hobie rigged.everything worked fine.Now I can start catching fish.Thanks John for great setup.
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                          Well I tried spoons, Xrap, 2 kinds of powerbait ( including the exact thing Bill was using), roostertails, mepps, and a flash foil minnow...
                          Impressive, kevin, very impressive!
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I only tried four baits Saturday- a 1/16 oz Mepps (tiny red plastic on the treble) spinner on the Spyderwire 4 # test Quantum reel on a 5 1/2 foot Shakespeake rod...a 1/8 oz white Roostertail on the 8225 Supreme reel mounted on a 7' Fish Eagle UL spinning outfit with Berkley 6# test Nano line and a small Rapala original minnow in fire tiger on my light Shimano spinning rod 15# test Cabelas Rip Chord braid with 12# test floro leader- all caught at least one rainbow, but the Rapala caught four fish out of the seven fish I landed Saturday-

ps- I used bead chain swivels to prevent line twist on all the in-line spinners-
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Impressive, kevin, very impressive!
                              Doing my best to stimulate the economy....pickerel population safe with me on the water. The ultimate catch and release...release before catching.

Comment

Severn Meet and Greet

042.jpg Great day, was good to meet you all !
                                Last edited by LenFewster; 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X